Free pour vs. etching?

barista_bg

Apr 15, 2011
Elizabeth City, NC
Visit site
Ok, so I really enjoy doing both, sometimes a combination of both. What's your take on the debate? Do you consider etching to be in the same arena?[/ATTACH]
Personally, free pour requires much more skill, but etching usually gets a greater response from the consumer.

Attachments

• DSC00269.jpg
    DSC00269.jpg
    569 KB · Views: 641
  • DSC00706.jpg
    DSC00706.jpg
    698.5 KB · Views: 708

alphawave7

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Yep! I like free-pour, but I agree with Randy...please shoot some quickie vids of both. :) I'd love to see what you do other than standard rosettes!

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
latteART3.gif
Here is one I did a few days ago. I steam for two cappas at a time so it makes it a bit more difficult. I also pull long doubles as well. That, and I use soy milk which increases the challenge once again.

barista_bg

Apr 15, 2011
Elizabeth City, NC
Visit site
Alphawave7, were you able to see the attached photos on my post? I actually don't have any good photos of a rossetta. I am in the process of trying to make a video of the latte portraits, but I'm waiting on my boss to bring me her tripod. I got really bent out of shape recently when some people accused me of photoshopping some pics I had posted online. So, I wanted to make a video anyway to defend my much practiced skill. Keep an eye out for it, and thanks for the feedback!
B

alphawave7

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Oh yeah! We can see'em just fine! I enjoy the creativity, especially beyond the ordinary basic rosetta (even though I'm still working on it! LOL!), and I've exhausted youtube's vid supply. :p A skill like that should be recorded, shared and admired! :)

yyc_coffee

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
All about the free pour. While etching is really fun and yields great results, its just way too time consuming. Plus you can get some really great results with free pour.
IMG_0405.jpg

phughes

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Usually, customers would appreaciate etching more. Probably because they can see a more concrete result out of it than what is achieved with free pour. Etching is as awesome looking at the result vis a vis. But when you know the rigorous process you will go through, maybe more customers will appreaciate them more.

I think posting your video will yield you higher respect here. As people always want proof.

yyc_coffee

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
The other issue is sanitary. In the big city, people dont want to know that their food/drink is being touch. The longer your in someones drink/food, the less I think they would want it.