Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    271

    Philosopher's Corner: (Grab a Cup of Coffee and Reflect)

    So, I wanted to start the Philosophers Corner..

    Seeings how sometimes we get off track with certain philisophical matters, we can move them over here

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,215
    Philosophical tidbit #1: They can kill you, but they can't eat you.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    417
    I think, therefore I . . . drink coffee
    Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been -- Jimmy Buffett (via Mark Twain)

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by eldub View Post
    Philosophical tidbit #1: They can kill you, but they can't eat you.
    Interesting... And kind of morbid for a 1st philosophical tidbit.

    Can I ask where you are going with that? Do you mean how it's alright for someone to "execute" someone given a "correct" set of circumstances, but then we cannot literally eat them? (Cannibalism) ?

    Interesting point there... You'll have to expound upon that before anything intelligent could be said about it though

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,215
    LOL That was a saying I learned from my grandma. I think it means that one should always look for the positive in a bad situation.

    As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure the above sentiment is similar to another jewel handed down from my grandparents, concerning the person who would bitch while getting hung with a new rope. hehe
    Last edited by eldub; 11-20-2012 at 06:58 AM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by eldub View Post
    LOL That was a saying I learned from my grandma. I think it means that one should always look for the positive in a bad situation.

    As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure the above sentiment is similar to another jewel handed down from my grandparents, concerning the person who would bitch while getting hung with a new rope. hehe
    Ah I got ya... "He's so crabby he would complain about everything, even being hung with an old rope!"

    I see... Well yes, we do definitely need to see the good in everything

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    254
    Philosophical Tidbit # 2:<br>I am what I am, If you like me, its fine; if you don't, its even better. lol......(This is my own saying actually and I own exclusive rights for it), lol.....<br>Please seek consent from me before quoting it anywhere else......
    SAY "I LOVE YOU" TO EVERYONE YOU WANT TO, BEFORE ITS TOO LATE !

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by btreath9082 View Post
    Philosophical Tidbit # 2:<br>I am what I am, If you like me, its fine; if you don't, its even better. lol......(This is my own saying actually and I own exclusive rights for it), lol.....<br>Please seek consent from me before quoting it anywhere else......
    True enough... I stopped caring about what people think of me a while ago. I mean, with me, it seems to be one of two things... You love me or hate me, no middle road. LOL

    But I won't apologize for that fact!

    I often wonder why we need to "fit in", and who the heck creates the "hip" of now? I wonder.. You know, who gets to decide what is popular? Take High School for an example. Who gets to decide who the cool kids are, and what makes them cool etc? Everyone at that age wants desperately to "fit in" and be with the "cool kids" but... WHO decided initially who the cool kid would be? It's almost as if it's like the bloomin "sorting hat" of Harry Potter. As soon as you walk through the doors on your very first day it is decided if you are "popular", a "jock", a "class clown", an "outsider" or a "geek".

    I don't think people really realize what sort of an effect a label has on a person. (well especially at that age) You see, I might not be a rebel, or a bad person, but if enough people keep saying it, then the obvious outcome is that I will inevitably stoop to that. I've seen it time and time again... High school is where it is most prevalent, but I have seen it in work places as well.

    Which is why I've just stopped caring... You need to live your own life, the way you want to. And really, if someone isn't going to like you for you, you really don't want to be around them anyway... Because it usually doesn't end well, because those are the kind of people that if you reach out and ask for help, all of a sudden they aren't there... And you are left spinning in the wind...

    I consider myself a social person, very social, but I wouldn't say I have a large circle of friends, and you know... I used to be down about that a bit... But really.. Why do I need a large circle of "fake" friends as well?

    So.. Better to have the one, two, three or however many it is friends in life, that you know will always be there for you than have 50 or more that will party on, but when things start to go south, they are nowhere to be seen.

    Also, people change throughout life, and it is possible to outgrow relationships.. This is normal as well. If you outgrow a relationship it's nothing to be sad about, it just means that you need to go and find new friends.. There are 7 Billion people on this planet, so always remember if one doesn't like you, there are another 6 Billion people to talk to....

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    13
    I agree with you to an extent, I do think we need to take care of our side of the street first, become self aware, come to terms with who we are, and continuously improve, based upon our findings. However, we do live in a society where we need to make certain concessions in order to fit in a society, and make it more... shall we say, fulfilling. Yes, high school is cruel, middle school maybe even more, but it is here that we learn social coping skills, and it is here that we need to address the problem. It is a shame that that people become alienated at this stage in life, disenchanted with the idea that we are part of something bigger, but the fact of it is, we are.
    I am by no means saying we need to change who we are in order to fit in to society however, but rather strike a balance, to be aware and conscious of those around us, and acknowledge that they too are part of this here life.
    I do not strive to be liked by everyone, but rather I attempt to see life through the lives of others, recognize that they too are striving to carve out their existence in the vastness of everyday life, and in all likelihood, seeking some of the same things that I am. Maybe we are not at the same stages in life, maybe we are seeking different things, but I aim to see what they see.

    Quote Originally Posted by MyMugsHalfFull View Post
    True enough... I stopped caring about what people think of me a while ago. I mean, with me, it seems to be one of two things... You love me or hate me, no middle road. LOL

    But I won't apologize for that fact!

    I often wonder why we need to "fit in", and who the heck creates the "hip" of now? I wonder.. You know, who gets to decide what is popular? Take High School for an example. Who gets to decide who the cool kids are, and what makes them cool etc? Everyone at that age wants desperately to "fit in" and be with the "cool kids" but... WHO decided initially who the cool kid would be? It's almost as if it's like the bloomin "sorting hat" of Harry Potter. As soon as you walk through the doors on your very first day it is decided if you are "popular", a "jock", a "class clown", an "outsider" or a "geek".

    I don't think people really realize what sort of an effect a label has on a person. (well especially at that age) You see, I might not be a rebel, or a bad person, but if enough people keep saying it, then the obvious outcome is that I will inevitably stoop to that. I've seen it time and time again... High school is where it is most prevalent, but I have seen it in work places as well.

    Which is why I've just stopped caring... You need to live your own life, the way you want to. And really, if someone isn't going to like you for you, you really don't want to be around them anyway... Because it usually doesn't end well, because those are the kind of people that if you reach out and ask for help, all of a sudden they aren't there... And you are left spinning in the wind...

    I consider myself a social person, very social, but I wouldn't say I have a large circle of friends, and you know... I used to be down about that a bit... But really.. Why do I need a large circle of "fake" friends as well?

    So.. Better to have the one, two, three or however many it is friends in life, that you know will always be there for you than have 50 or more that will party on, but when things start to go south, they are nowhere to be seen.

    Also, people change throughout life, and it is possible to outgrow relationships.. This is normal as well. If you outgrow a relationship it's nothing to be sad about, it just means that you need to go and find new friends.. There are 7 Billion people on this planet, so always remember if one doesn't like you, there are another 6 Billion people to talk to....

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by crlssctt View Post
    I agree with you to an extent, I do think we need to take care of our side of the street first, become self aware, come to terms with who we are, and continuously improve, based upon our findings. However, we do live in a society where we need to make certain concessions in order to fit in a society, and make it more... shall we say, fulfilling. Yes, high school is cruel, middle school maybe even more, but it is here that we learn social coping skills, and it is here that we need to address the problem. It is a shame that that people become alienated at this stage in life, disenchanted with the idea that we are part of something bigger, but the fact of it is, we are.
    I am by no means saying we need to change who we are in order to fit in to society however, but rather strike a balance, to be aware and conscious of those around us, and acknowledge that they too are part of this here life.
    I do not strive to be liked by everyone, but rather I attempt to see life through the lives of others, recognize that they too are striving to carve out their existence in the vastness of everyday life, and in all likelihood, seeking some of the same things that I am. Maybe we are not at the same stages in life, maybe we are seeking different things, but I aim to see what they see.
    Well said... To some extent we do need to make some concessions, however, I don't think we should have to bend to every single whim of the society around us in order to not be ostracized. Why should I have to have the same opinions as everyone else in order to not be an outcast? Even in the workplace as I mentioned, I remember everyone was talking, socializing etc, and it seemed if you weren't in some group or other, they all ignored you. Which was fine by me I guess, but I'm a social person and just don't understand..

    For example: There was a smokers lounge, and they had all the smokers out there, and I remember some people who didn't even smoke freezing their butts off out there just to be part of the club. Crazy.

    I guess to some extent we all want to feel we belong somewhere, but I have found that belonging somewhere really only means that you feel comfortable there. It doesn't necessarily mean you are loved and accepted by all around you.

    Heck, I spent a good portion of my adolescent and teen years pulling my hair out, and doing everything and anything to try and fit in. Didn't have too many friends, and then after high school still didn't, had some coworkers etc, but the number of people who didn't fit into a particular group were bigger, and then these people had their own groups...

    I guess you could say that humans are a pack animal to some extent...

    Yes, it is sad when people become alienated at such a young age, and what you said truly frightens me to the core... That middle school and high school is where "they learn their social coping skills"... I remember being seriously damaged from high school, and it took me a while to get over it... So if that's the "proving grounds" they REALLY need to change it up a bit.

    I guess the point is, it doesn't really matter if someone or a particular group doesn't like you.. We tend to forget (as I have said before) there are 7 Billion other people on this planet.. So.. Hat's off, I salute you, and off to the next person/group

 

 

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. cafe on the same corner as a bar and game room??
    By peepee in forum Business to Business B2B
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-04-2007, 04:56 PM
  2. Looking for a combination pastry case/grab & go cooler
    By Toad1 in forum Coffee Industry Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-16-2006, 07:16 PM
  3. Coffee Roaster's Corner
    By petalraindream in forum Coffee Roasters
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-16-2006, 03:27 PM