Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Construction concern

This is a discussion on Construction concern within the Off Topic forums, part of the Community Board category; I work at a coffee shop in the historical district in my town, they have construction going on to build new sidewalks. My concern is ...

Construction concern

I work at a coffee shop in the historical district in my town, they have construction going on to build new sidewalks. My concern is the business is not doing that well right now because they have no parking signs on the street, so how do I advertise that we are open & get people to come in with no option for parking? It's becoming more of a problem than I anticipated when they began the construction a couple of months ago. Please I really need suggestions.

2. # ADS

Hello and welcome BestestBarista;
    Sorry to hear that your business is suffering while construction goes on. One thing you might do is contact your local alderman or mayor and see about getting some financial relief. I know in my city some business yelled enough that they got a tax freedom for property taxes because they could show that they were financially hurt by the construction.
    Maybe run some small flyers offering specials during certain times to get the customers in the door. You could have a mascot hanging outside the door handing out these.
    You could also run a special with curbside delivery if they call and order during the construction time.
    Brian

Talking

Thank you Brian, I appreciate the information you have provided. I will look into all of that. I finally found the sign to put out front that we write on, as per one of my customers telling me that they drove by & didn't know if we were even open. Again a big thanks

I am sorry but I am interested in knowing that since you only work in the coffee shop and the business is not yours, why are you worried about that? I mean, is your salary commission based or is it on fixed basis, that is, do you get paid weekly irrespective of the state of the business? Sorry in advance if you mind this. lol....
    SAY "I LOVE YOU" TO EVERYONE YOU WANT TO, BEFORE ITS TOO LATE !

Sorry to hear that... I agree with Brian, see if maybe you can get some sort of concession made.

On the other hand, have you tried marketing directly to the construction workers as well? If you can get the construction workers in there and buying coffee, it would automatically let others know that you are open.

You will have to rely on mostly walk in customers and those construction workers for a while it seems. Are you located close to a park, bus stop, or other public venue where you could hand out flyers? (As Brian also suggested, a mascot would attract a lot of attention as well).

Construction concern

Quote Originally Posted by btreath9082 View Post
    I am sorry but I am interested in knowing that since you only work in the coffee shop and the business is not yours, why are you worried about that? I mean, is your salary commission based or is it on fixed basis, that is, do you get paid weekly irrespective of the state of the business? Sorry in advance if you mind this. lol....
    I am concerned because the business is a smaller business & the woman that owns it is family to me. It has nothing to do with my pay. I'm actually not worried about the pay as much as I am in creating better business for her.

Construction concern

Quote Originally Posted by MyMugsHalfFull View Post
    Sorry to hear that... I agree with Brian, see if maybe you can get some sort of concession made.

On the other hand, have you tried marketing directly to the construction workers as well? If you can get the construction workers in there and buying coffee, it would automatically let others know that you are open.

You will have to rely on mostly walk in customers and those construction workers for a while it seems. Are you located close to a park, bus stop, or other public venue where you could hand out flyers? (As Brian also suggested, a mascot would attract a lot of attention as well).
    Thank you it is much appreciated. I have marketing & business manager skills just not a college graduate in that area. Also yes I have gone directly to the construction workers. It has helped some but not by much.

Quote Originally Posted by BestestBarista View Post
    Thank you it is much appreciated. I have marketing & business manager skills just not a college graduate in that area. Also yes I have gone directly to the construction workers. It has helped some but not by much.
    Just a thought, but maybe having some sort of event. Does your establishment sell any sort of snacks? If so what kind? Possibly some early Christmas specials? Maybe make up some Christmas gift baskets of gourmet coffee bags, and have a drawing for people that come in. Or just sell them. Christmas Baskets could be a draw for some as well.

Or perhaps you could try a coffee card, sort of like subway, you buy 6 coffees and your 7th is free or something. However, advertising seems to be the best idea. Some form of advertising anyway. And until the construction ends, you'll need to focus on walking traffic only it seems. How long do you think the construction will last? (hard to gauge I know, but it's an important factor in considering next steps)

Another point is if you have good insurance for business interuption that might be something to look at. How about a special of the day? Make a special coffee or product with a huge sign offering this. Even a huge handwritten sign in the complete window if it is big enough offering the "Pile driver or Concrete concoction" daily special.
    Brian

Construction concern

Again thank you, I am using a lot of ideas giving & it's seems that I have already improved sales & business.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads