Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Driving me insane

This is a discussion on Driving me insane within the Off Topic forums, part of the Community Board category; I need some more advice my boss is driving me completely insane lately because of her lack of business management & marketing skills. For example ...

Driving me insane

I need some more advice my boss is driving me completely insane lately because of her lack of business management & marketing skills. For example I came in this morning & we had no wifi or phone service, which in turn means no credit card machine. It was insanity! Also she sits at her computer trolling on the interwebs which is the most unprofessional activity. Customers will walk in & wait until she decides to get out from behind her computer to wait on them. My biggest pet peve is exactly everything she does. I wasn't going to complain until I was an active member for some time but it's been driving me insane & I need some suggestions. Do I walk away from the business or stay & try to help her to recover from the damages she's already inflicted? The business is struggling because of her but at the same time she is like family to me so it's a hard decision for me. I don't particularly want to leave either but I need outside opinions. Hopefully for the sake of the coffee shop itself I can continue to participate & make it more of a wonderful experience for our customers. :fingers crossed:

2. # ADS

Hello BestestBarista;
    Unfortunately you have run into an owner whose time is up. Having consulted on alot of businesses I see this so often. The owner gets tired and complacent. They start letting the business get run down and don't have the energy and excitement they once had. I doubt you will be able to convince her to look at things until she hits bottom or seeks out someone to help. Alot of times you see a business going down the drain and a new buyer comes in and business recovers dramatically but sometimes it is too far gone.

I have had employees who got to comfortable and thought they couldn't be replaced- thats when they were replaced promptly.
    I am not sure how your relationship and communication is with her but it might be worth a shot... you will be able to tell in the first 5 minutes whether she is willing to listen and do something. If not start looking elsewhere.

Driving me insane

I'm honestly thinking of opening my own shop anyhow. I had an opportunity arise that will benefit me & make it possible to open my own shop. I need to find out about zoning in the area but it's worth a shot & looking into because I'm into this job & like I said previously I have the business management & marketing skills but who knows how it's going to go. I know that I have to push forward & look into a lot of things first. It would be in a completely different city so no computing with this shop & also I won't feel responsible if my business causes hers to fail even though its looking that that it was is going to happen anyway. Thank you for the advice though its exactly the response I was looking for. Also the opportunity occurred after this post but I am still looking for props outside views.

Time to go.

People can't change people, people change themselves and it looks like that isn't going to happen fast enough. So two options -- a heart to heart talk. Keep it cool, calm, and positive. Commend first, then counsel. Who knows, maybe she'd like to sell out and you want to open your own show . . . . Or if you know that isn't an option part on the best terms you can. If she's like family you don't want to burn that bridge and create a source of long term pain.

Also, since it seems like you've been stewing over this for awhile, do it now. The longer the situation goes on the more it eats away at you and the more likely a big blow-up.
    Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been -- Jimmy Buffett (via Mark Twain)

Driving me insane

Thank you! We had a conversation yesterday afternoon & I need to just bite my tongue right now until I have another opportunity & I'm actively working on that. I'm looking into zoning aspects on my property in another city & I'm also looking for another coffee shop to occupy my time until something comes about with opening my own. I do appreciate all of the outside opinions. So far so good we'll see what arises from here.

Super Moderator
    Did you get a sense from your conversation that she's lost interest in owning the business? Was she receptive to listening to your concerns? When you said, "I need to just bite my tongue right now until I have another opportunity & I'm actively working on that," I got a feeling that the conversation wasn't well received.

Perhaps there is more going on with her than you know.

When she starts asking you to wait a couple of days before cashing your paycheck, you'll know it's time for you to move on. I hope that, either things will get better, or you'll soon find something else before that day comes.

Rose

Thanks Rose,
    No the conversation didn't go ask planned but at the same time I know that for now I need the money that I am getting out of her. Also she pays me cash every day when she relieves me because its the two of us running this shop because she can not afford to pay anyone else right now. It's a situation that I didn't know I was walking into & now I am invested because of how much time I spend here. It will all work out & you are exactly right when you say that hopefully something else arises before the time comes that there is no more in the business or the utilities get shut off that we are unable to open the door. For now I am doing the best that I can.

Sounds like you have a plan. I commend you on attempting that conversation even though it doesn't sound like it went over very well.

Good luck.

lw

Super Moderator
    Cash at the end of the day is always good! At least you won't have to worry about your paycheck bouncing.

Hang in there, and keep on giving 100%. Knowing you're doing the best you can will help make things easier for you. You sound like the type of employee that anyone would love to have. You'll find something new when the time is right.

Rose

Hang in there... You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink!

Keep doing the best you can, and once that new opportunity works itself out, try and leave on the best terms possible. You may be going insane at her business practices, but remember that you don't want to burn all bridges too quickly...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads