Team Building This Month!

I head one of our department's teams. We are going to have a team building in some posh resort. Three days and three nights. All expenses paid by our company, of course. I've been given free hand to do whatever I think is best for my team. I've been planning our schedule, trying to come up with good games and activities, etc.

Any recommendations, tips and advice on how I can give my team the best stress-free, fun and memorable team building of their lives? I'm also open to all suggestions when it comes to the games and activities? What do you think are good prizes and giveaways?

Give 'em all some good cigars, get 'em lit, get their feet up, and you'll have a good team.

Quote Originally Posted by peterjschmidt View Post
    Give 'em all some good cigars, get 'em lit, get their feet up, and you'll have a good team.
    I definitely agree with you.... there's nothing like having good cigars, great beer and good food while relaxing on a beach.

Super Moderator
    How big is your team? It is made up of just guys, or is it a mixed group?

Team building isn't just hanging out and lounging around. It's a fun way to get people to work together as a team, build trust, learn about each other, and return home with a refreshed sense of unity.

Have you selected the posh resort yet? They may have activities that you can tap into. Will they provide a meeting room for the group to get together?

You could create a scavenger hunt (a very difficult one) and come up with individual prizes that the winning group can take back with them and maybe a trophy to display in the office.

Are you doing the team building on your own, or are you having a consultant come in and run the show? Don't hire a consultant who will only get the group together and lecture on being a team. They won't want to hear it, and it's a waste of money.

Even something simple like a volleyball game in the pool, or some other activity where they can have fun but still work as a team would give them a chance to relax and accomplish what you're looking for. I would stay away from the golf outings or card games where tempers can get out of hand. Find something that everyone can do without causing anyone any extra stress or embarrassment. You want them to return home feeling good about the experience, not stressed out and angry.

Rose

Quote Originally Posted by peterjschmidt View Post
    Love it.

or try these before the cigars

have a coffee bag race.

Hire Niels to entertain you https://www.facebook.com/nielsduinker

Hire Kyle Petersen to entertain you https://www.facebook.com/thebrooklynjuggler
    Great coffee does not just happen!
    South Florida Artisan Coffee Roaster

@PinkRose

It's mixed. Around 15-20.
    Yes, we've found a good resort. I'll check if they have something.
    I love the idea of a scavenger hunt! Nice one.
    It's just us. Nothing formal like that.

I asked my team what they wanted to do and all they said that as long as there's great food, they're happy. LOL

I'm thinking about buying one of the sets here and having it as one of our games. Maybe we can do this at night while drinking? What do you think? Do you think it's tacky?

What about us cooking our own food? At least for one meal. I can ask the resort ahead of time what ingredients they should buy. I can't ask them about this since I'd like for it to be a surprise.

You have to put in mind the goals of your team building activity, what do you want to achieve and develop among your co-workers. When coming up with an activity be sure to relate it with the struggles your employees are experiencing in their daily routines and make sure that the exercises are not too physically demanding. Ensure that everyone can participate, learn and have fun.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by champagnesyrup View Post

I'm thinking about buying one of the sets HR Training and Development, HR Management Training - HRDQ and having it as one of our games. Maybe we can do this at night while drinking? What do you think? Do you think it's tacky?

What about us cooking our own food? At least for one meal. I can ask the resort ahead of time what ingredients they should buy. I can't ask them about this since I'd like for it to be a surprise.

That link that you referred to led to a human resources website. What set are you thinking about buying?

I really doubt if the posh resort will allow you to cook a meal, unless one of the quest rooms already has a full kitchen. There are insurance issues that they probably wouldn't want to deal with.

I agree with "thirstyiceskates" wrote. Be sure that everyone can participate and that they can learn and have fun.

You're bound to get people who will just want to sit around and do nothing. Maybe you can request that everyone sign a contract promising to participate before you all get on the plane. It's a team building retreat, not a free vacation. It's work related, but it's also play.

Once you've been to enough "team building" retreats, you'll see why most people dread them. Being forced to play and relax with co-workers isn't most people's idea of fun. You still have to put on a happy face and go with the flow, even when you don't want to. The idea is to temporarily break through the barriers that people have and get them to relax and see each other in a different light, away from the office and away from the workday stress.

Rose

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links