Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

And if you still need advice...

I paid ABC in Portland, OR for eight hours of consultation when I was considering opening a coffee shop. The information they provided was priceless. I decided not to open a coffee shop. Best money I ever spent. https://www.coffeebusiness.com

The bottomline was this:

"Most shops operate at net 10. The best that could be hoped for would be net 20."

So, for the sake of discussion, let's take the middle of the road at net 15 (which is most likely optimistically high). If you gross $500K/year you've made $75K to not only pay yourself (maybe), but more importantly to re-invest in and grow your business. I wasn't willing to make the sacrifice of working 40-60+/hrs week away from my kids and deal with managing/training lots of employees and the headaches that come with it to make less money than I'm making now.

Maybe a better location (for me that meant moving to a larger city altogether) would have convinced me to move forward. If my gross sales were $1M instead of $500K... maybe. This is why many successful coffee shop owners ultimately open several locations. Tough to get rich with just one shop. More shops, more financial opportunity, and more headaches. Ultimately, I feel that I made the best choice for myself and my family. I'm gonna go kickback in my kitchen now with a shot of Blue Bottle from my La Marzocco GS3.

BTW... In regards to a previous comment in this thread about, "I don't know if there really is much difference quality wise in professional espresso makers".......... There is a HUGE difference and different machines make a huge difference in drink quality (along with many, many, many other factors). Don't assume all commercial espresso makers are remotely the same. Just like... don't assume all: baristas, beans, water quality, milk, etc is the same!!! If that were true then everyone would be ecstatic with Folger's at home and Starbucks on the road.
    Last edited by LaMarzocco; 07-06-2015 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ5150 View Post
    As a potential customer, I would say to focus on coffee, not the soup and sandwiches.

When I am out and about and desiring a cup of coffee, I drive right past all the shops that sell more than coffee and pastries. I want to go somewhere that cares about the coffee and makes that their primary passion. Even if the coffee is excellent in one of those places that server soup and sandwiches, I won't stop there.

-Mike
    I'm the same way Mike, however, the majority of Americans... are not. When considering opening a coffee shop, it is those that are few and far between that can actually make a living selling coffee and only coffee. Yes, it is possible given location etc. (Blue Bottle, etc)... but... for the MAJORITY of coffee shops, the owner needs to consider residual income outside of "just coffee" and "how to attract each customer more than 1x/day". Most often the answer is "soup and sandwiches"... as well as other good food and potentially alcohol as well. Many coffee shops are turning to alcohol sales especially after "coffee hours" to keep the income coming in! However, many coffee shop owners neglect the fact that they are paying rent 24 hours/day and only open from 6am-6pm.
    Last edited by LaMarzocco; 07-06-2015 at 08:44 PM.

Espresso machines etc

Quote Originally Posted by LaMarzocco View Post
    And if you still need advice...
    BTW... In regards to a previous comment in this thread about, "I don't know if there really is much difference quality wise in professional espresso makers".......... There is a HUGE difference and different machines make a huge difference in drink quality (along with many, many, many other factors). Don't assume all commercial espresso makers are remotely the same. Just like... don't assume all: baristas, beans, water quality, milk, etc is the same!!! If that were true then everyone would be ecstatic with Folger's at home and Starbucks on the road.
    Sure. I just don't know how it would be possible to compare the espresso makers. Beans, milk, water etc is easy - you just try all of them as I did. But to try all combinations of those with every potential espresso maker available in your area is just not feasible. And in our case I do get better coffee with my manual La Pavoni Professional at home compared to what I get out of th Rancilio semi-automatic at our coffee shop. The difference is minimal but a difference - at least in my taste - there definitively is. And this is not to say that the Rancilio doesn't make great espresso - the Pavoni just is better for soem reason. The choices of espresso makers available in our area were La Cimbali, Rancilio and Astoria since they have at least some level of service available. Most shops here use the Astoria. After asking owners why they chose it the answer was always price. So in the end you choose based on pretty much gut your feeling - plus we wanted the gas option which only the Rancilio had.

Btw. Net 10-20 is not even remotely true around here. And I don't think it's only us as we are newcomers on the market. But the case is different than most on the planet: fast growing economy, personal income level going up as well and yet very little coffee culture.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links