Can mouthwash/ or toothpaste change taste

Initially, what I thought could have been my coffeemaker or water making my coffee taste bitter, with usually a burnt aftertaste, may not be that at all?

I'd been using Listerine mouthwash at night. I rinse and gargle for approximately 25-30 seconds. I read that the alcohol in the mouthwash can possibly dull the taste buds, changing the way I'm tasting/smelling my coffee. And when I go to get a whiff of what's coming out of my coffeemaker when It starts brewing/ or when it's poured into my cup, it neither smells or tastes like coffee.

With K cup coffee, it ends up tasting bitter. With freshly brewed coffee from an old 12 cup coffemaker with a pot, it ends up tastes somewhat bland. The oddest thing is the freshly brewed coffee grounds not hardly an aroma at all. The faint smell of what I can't describe doesn't smell like coffee.

Mouthwash (Listerine +whitener) or Arm and Hammer triple action toothpaste dulling my taste buds and my sense of smell?
    Last edited by Coffcan; 12-27-2016 at 12:01 PM.

It could be both. Toothpaste typically has, sodium lauryl sulfate in it. It is an ingredient in it that works to suppress taste buds. This causes you to be able to taste an overwhelming bitter taste. Mouthwash, on the other hand, is designed to kill off bacteria. As a result, it can cause your taste buds to be numb for a small amount of time. It might be a good idea to do some trial and error to get to the root of the problem. For instance, try not using your mouthwash for a week or two and see if that makes a difference to your taste buds.

Quote Originally Posted by coffee771 View Post
    It could be both. Toothpaste typically has, sodium lauryl sulfate in it. It is an ingredient in it that works to suppress taste buds. This causes you to be able to taste an overwhelming bitter taste. Mouthwash, on the other hand, is designed to kill off bacteria. As a result, it can cause your taste buds to be numb for a small amount of time. It might be a good idea to do some trial and error to get to the root of the problem. For instance, try not using your mouthwash for a week or two and see if that makes a difference to your taste buds.
    Thanks, Coffee771!

I had heard of sodium lauryl sulfate before, knew it wasn't an additive that was good for us. I had no idea that it could suppress taste buds like that!
    I'm smelling and tasting most other foods just fine. Coffee and black tea, to a lesser extent, taste and smell odd.

I had a friend of mine come over today to test whether it was my senses or what I initially thought it was; the water, coffee I was using or the coffeemaker itself. I made two cups in my regular coffeemaker, and he said it smelled and tasted like coffee. The aroma I was getting was a flat one. And the faint scent didn't smell like coffee. It tasted almost as bland as water.

I then put a K cup into my one cup coffee maker. He said it tasted weak. When I tried it, I'll admit it didn't have as strong a bitter, burnt flavor I was getting not long ago. It tasted to me, very bland with a little bitterness.

I haven't used the mouthwash for about five days now. I was using Arm and Hammer whitening plus, but decided to switch to Crest pro health for now.

Hope you had a very Merry Christmas! A very Happy New Year to you as well!

Today I had my Parent's over, and they brought me a medium coffee from our local big chain.

It tasted pretty much like it always did, and I didn't get that flat, plastic/ or bitter taste or pungent smell that was emanating from my Keurig.

I also wanted my parent's right after to try a coffee from my Keurig. My Mom had caught the scent of burnt rubber coming from the coffee maker. Yes,
    it's now going into the mechanical waste bin. I'm not going to bother sending it back for a replacement that may be just as crappy as the one I purchased.

Ohh wow! Never knew all these details. But sure knew that taste varies.

I'm trying what you said. I'm using an SLS free toothpaste. All natural. I'm going to give it another week or two before I see a doctor about it, as it's not just coffee I can hardly taste. Tea and some other foods are almost tasteless to me right now. Taste and smell go hand in hand, so both senses have been affected.

I was at the mall today and just tried a Starbuck's dark roast. I could hardly taste it at all. Wasn't much stronger than water. I'm not getting that strong bitter, burnt taste I was getting from the K cups. Just hardly any flavor at all. And I don't think I have a cold, and my nose is very rarely stuffed up.

Most toothpastes contain sodium laureth sulfate (and its counterparts, sodium lauryl ether sulfate and sodium lauryl sulfate), which is responsible for making the toothpaste foam up in your mouth. Its also responsible for everything tasting bad afterward.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links