Should I open a new credit card to pay a collection?

I only have 2 mastercards. Ive had them over 10 years. I want a visa because I have ran into places that dont take master card. I plan to use the card to first pay off a collection on my credit report (the new card will activate as soon as I make the first charge) and then pay off the balance next month.

I think it is better to have one visa and one mastercard, instead of two mastercard. I've had problems with stores what didn't accept my mastercard or visa cards and it's quite annoying. But having these two cards I think you will not often encounter this problem again. Also with these cards you will receive the full package of pros that they can offer to you. I don't suggest you to get more that two credit cards because it is not profitable to pay so much charges for customer services. Also it is not safe, because there are many cases of cyber crimes and theft of card numbers (I was wondering that there are many carding tutorials for begginers in the network).

Last edited by wallace67; 10-20-2020 at 04:51 PM.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukshana View Post
    I only have 2 mastercards. Ive had them over 10 years. I want a visa because I have ran into places that dont take master card. I plan to use the card to first pay off a collection on my credit report (the new card will activate as soon as I make the first charge) and then pay off the balance next month.
    It sounds like the main reason for you wanting to get a Visa card is because you want to shop in some stores that don't accept MasterCard. It's good to have a Visa card when you need one. I've had problems with stores not accepting American Express or Discover, and it's quite annoying. I've never had a problem with them not wanting to accept a Visa or MasterCard.

Your second reason for wanting to get a new charge card may get you into trouble. Are you financially able to pay off the collection charges that are on your credit report? If you pay off your old debt by shifting it over to a new credit card, you'll still need to make monthly payments, along with paying the finance charges that the credit card company adds on. I'm surprised that you are able to get a new Visa card, especially considering that you have a collection problem showing up on your credit report. It's great that you want to pay off an old debt. I just hope you won't be creating a bigger problem by using a new Visa card to do it.

~ Rose

Yes, I agree that it is better to have one master card and one visa. Each of them has its pros and cons, but if you use them together, then they can overlap the minuses of each other.

When I hear the word credit, I have a kind of fear. I had a lot of problems with credit when I was younger, and now I have a credit phobia. At the time I had not a job, as I was a student, and thus I had no possibility to pay the debt. I understand that situation is absolutely my failure, but at the same time, I couldn't understand why a debt collecting company calls me unstoppable. It was a kind of harassment. Thankfully I found a law firm that deals with such situations and they helped me to defend my rights. If you want to know what law firm I am talking about, you can check how crown asset management work. Stay safe and have a wonderful day!
    Last edited by Hodgfrog; 11-14-2020 at 12:17 PM.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links