Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Attempted to play some guitar. Can't play very well at all without some lessons.

Quote Originally Posted by lattelover888 View Post
    I can sing. Used to slay in community contests back in the day. Does that make me a musician?
    For sure counts

Definitely. I play the drums, sort of. I've been playing the drums off and on since I was about 13. Now 57. I have gone long stretches without really playing much due to job and family obligations with periodic spurts of activity. I had my basement band during my high school years, played in jazz ensemble and in an local dinner theater in downtown Buffalo during college. Then didn't play a lot until I was about 40 when I decided I wanted to get back into it again. I joined two music networking groups in NYC and joined a band doing mostly R&B stuff. We played in a couple Greenwich Village clubs and I was working on a second band that was more of a power trio when my job ramped up and I had to take a step back. Now I have more time on my hands and I'm trying to slowly get back into it again. I joined a band that was put together by a guitarist who put an ad on Craigslist for musicians looking to jam for fun. No expectations of playing out. So that's what I've been doing for the past few months, about every other week. And I'm spending some more time just practicing to build up my chops. I'm hoping that playing with these guys will help me get my feel back and maybe find some people who might want to play out every so often. Nothing serious but it would be great to play in public again.
    Absurdity is the only reality - FZ

Quote Originally Posted by MntnMan62 View Post
    Definitely. I play the drums, sort of. I've been playing the drums off and on since I was about 13. Now 57. I have gone long stretches without really playing much due to job and family obligations with periodic spurts of activity. I had my basement band during my high school years, played in jazz ensemble and in an local dinner theater in downtown Buffalo during college. Then didn't play a lot until I was about 40 when I decided I wanted to get back into it again. I joined two music networking groups in NYC and joined a band doing mostly R&B stuff. We played in a couple Greenwich Village clubs and I was working on a second band that was more of a power trio when my job ramped up and I had to take a step back. Now I have more time on my hands and I'm trying to slowly get back into it again. I joined a band that was put together by a guitarist who put an ad on Craigslist for musicians looking to jam for fun. No expectations of playing out. So that's what I've been doing for the past few months, about every other week. And I'm spending some more time just practicing to build up my chops. I'm hoping that playing with these guys will help me get my feel back and maybe find some people who might want to play out every so often. Nothing serious but it would be great to play in public again.
    Sounds like fun... 50-year-old bass player here... we have a group of guys that play together as well. 4 of us that are part of a band - we call ourselves Mindboat. We gig maybe once a quarter, all for fun. It's always interesting because we have a wide range of ages so a wide range of influences. When we started Mindboat our lead singer was in his 20s, other guitar player 30s, me in my 40s, drummer in his 50s. Always a good time to play music.

Something we are doing in this difficult time right now is doing ARTBOMBS... the goal is to fill our social media feeds with positivity and creativity. I have a ton of creative friends - musicians/artists/designers/photographers. I am encouraging everyone to post something on their social media of something positive and art-related. Our band has been doing live broadcasts on Facebook Live - we plan on another one this week. GIVE IT A SHOT... lets spread some good vibes!

Quote Originally Posted by Musicphan View Post
    Sounds like fun... 50-year-old bass player here... we have a group of guys that play together as well. 4 of us that are part of a band - we call ourselves Mindboat. We gig maybe once a quarter, all for fun. It's always interesting because we have a wide range of ages so a wide range of influences. When we started Mindboat our lead singer was in his 20s, other guitar player 30s, me in my 40s, drummer in his 50s. Always a good time to play music.

Something we are doing in this difficult time right now is doing ARTBOMBS... the goal is to fill our social media feeds with positivity and creativity. I have a ton of creative friends - musicians/artists/designers/photographers. I am encouraging everyone to post something on their social media of something positive and art-related. Our band has been doing live broadcasts on Facebook Live - we plan on another one this week. GIVE IT A SHOT... lets spread some good vibes!
    Sounds good. And you guys probably have a nice set of tunes down that you can run though. We are just starting to try and get any of the tunes we play down. As for my band, I'm probably the baby in the group at 57. One guitarist is 60. Another guitarist, his brother, is 67. The third guitarist is also around 60. The singer may be closer to my age. And we've been through a couple bass players but I'd say they have both been 60+. And now that we've all been essentially quarantined, our Tuesday sessions have been put on hold. This will give me time to work on rudiments and spend some time working on properly learning the tunes we are doing and working on some of the more difficult sections.

My 17 year old son plays the bass. I didn't realize it when he announced that he wanted to play the bass but after I had turned him onto Stanley Clarke and all of the fusion that I listen to he then told me that his primary inspiration for the bass is Jaco. I was blown away. He's just started taking private lessons from a local jazz player so he's getting a nice foundation. Lately the kid has been talking about making his own 5 string fretless. I'm not trying to talk him out of it but he's spending more time thinking about a new bass than really learning how to play what he has. I keep telling him that Marcus Miller plays a 4 string and plays it exceedingly well. But hey, we all need some inspiration, right?

That's funny you were the influence and didn't realize it... same with my old man. One day he asked where I got this passion for music and I told it was HIM... he was blown away. He would listen to music all the time and tap Casey Top 40 show. The first album that blew me away was Fleetwood Mac Rumors... and I was 8

Have him try out a 5 string before he goes down that road... I have a killer Quantum Q5 that sits... I just rarely need that low B. But yes, everyone needs inspiration. I'm doing these ARTBOMBS for a friend of mine in Italy. She had a life 'restart' and started design school in her 40s (she was a former pro musician/singer)... so now she is trapped in her apartment and doesn't nobody under lock down. I figure its my little part to bring a smile to her.
    Last edited by Musicphan; 03-16-2020 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Musicphan View Post
    That's funny you were the influence and didn't realize it... same with my old man. One day he asked where I got this passion for music and I told it was HIM... he was blown away. He would listen to music all the time and tap Casey Top 40 show. The first album that blew me away was Fleetwood Mac Rumors... and I was 8

Have him try out a 5 string before he goes down that road... I have a killer Quantum Q5 that sits... I just rarely need that low B. But yes, everyone needs inspiration. I'm doing these ARTBOMBS for a friend of mine in Italy. She had a life 'restart' and started design school in her 40s (she was a former pro musician/singer)... so now she is trapped in her apartment and doesn't nobody under lock down. I figure its my little part to bring a smile to her.
    When he told me that I decided I was going to feed his inspiration. We live about a half hour to an hour outside of Manhattan (depending upon traffic) and I grew up seeing music in jazz clubs in the city. So I've been taking him to see all sorts of stuff, mostly the fusion I grew up on. So, he's been to see Stanley Clarke twice at the Blue Note, Jaco's son Felix at the Iridium, Pattitucci at the Iridium with one of my favorite drummers, Dennis Chambers, Percy Jones when Brand X was playing at the Iridum with Kenwood Dennard on drums, Carlitos Del Puerto when he was playing with Chick Corea and Steve Gadd at the Blue Note. He's also seen Narada Michael Walden's band (his bass player was hot - Angeline Saris), Zappa Plays Zappa, Steely Dan, Lenny Pickett, Randy Brecker, Mike Stern, Mike Clarke, Larry Coryell and some others I just can't remember. Obviously these shows were treats for me as well. I had never seen Narada live before. Anyway, I told him that when classes are over this year I want to take him to see two shows coming up at the Iridium. The first is The John Scofield Trio with Steve Swallow and Bill Stewart and the second is during Marcus Miller's residency there. I'm actually really interested to see Scofield because my first show in a jazz club was when I was 15 years old, my friend and I went to see John Scofields Quartet. I don't remember the bass player who I think was Marc Johnson, Billy Hart on drums and a piano player I don't remember. This would be a great show. And I've always loved Marcus Miller as does my son. This will be June. I just hope we'll be able to get out by then.

I love Scofield... my fav band is the Grateful Dead but they educated me on the ways of Jazz. They were heavily influenced by classical music and jazz. Branford Marsalis sat in one show with GD and he blew me away. That was my introduction to Jazz... but my all time Favorite Is Medeski, Martin & Wood... they play a LOT with Scofield.

I worked in the music industry for 17 years... and drank coffee. I gave up playing the trumpet about 10 years ago (played for about 30 years), and concentrated on music production. I have fourteen commercial album credits in performance and production roles. I played in funk and rock bands, big bands and jazz combos, and stage pit orchestras. My hearing started to get a bit dodgy thanks to being subjected to so much loudness, so I transitioned to photography, and now I'm a full time photographer. So lucky that I was able to do this and stay with the same employer! I still drink coffee. More of it, and better quality. I've been out of music production completely for about 2.5 years now, but being home without any shoots for the next while, I might start up my production computer and start writing again. We'll see. I definitely get the itch from time to time. Not to pick up the trumpet, but to write and produce music again.
    A day without coffee is like... just kidding. I have no idea.

I recently decided to create music, but so far I can’t write something perfect and interesting

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links