What makes one grinder better than another?

I have so often read on various forums that one needs a good grinder and that it is of greater importance almost than the espresso machine, but what defines a good grinder?

I have a Wega Max 5.8 Instant - as far as I can see identical to a Kompak K3, but cheaper - and plan to switch to a Sette 270 Wi in the (hopefully) not too distant future, but it is mostly about the tediousness of adjusting the timer whenever I change the grind setting. I opted to weigh the grind each time and find it a pain in the neck.

I see the Sette produces a nice fluffy sort of ground, rather than the clumpy stuff my Wega produces. It is also almost twice as fast as the Wega. Is there a rule that might help one choose any given grinder above another? Are conical burrs as a rule better/worse than flat ones? Is the size of the burrs important in making a choice. What about the number of revolutions/minute of the mechanism, for instance? Rate of g/s might also be of great importance in a shop environment, less so at home, I would reckon.

But what - apart from price - are the most important characteristics to consider?

Until recently I was using a Sette 270Wi and it does a good job. Keep it clean and it will serve you well. The built in scale is made by Acaia so enough said there(super accurate).

There were three things that made me buy another.
    1. I can't see the coffee when it's grinding.
    2. It's pretty messy(really messy). I do 17.5 grams in a double basket 58mm e-61 portafilter.
    3. It is pretty noisy and I am an early riser, the rest of the family is not.
    Oh, and
    4. It's made mostly of plastic and just doesn't seem like it should cost 550 bucks or last very long.

I moved to a quieter grinder flat burr grinder (Ceado E37j) and am very happy with it's precision and step-less adjustments and clumpless, fluffy grind quality. This grinder is all metal and built to last a lifetime. I LOVE the fact I can tear it down for cleaning and not lose my settings due to its unique design. All Ceados offer this.

NOTE: There are many grinders in the $1,000-$1,500 price range and I doubt you could go wrong with many of them but Take a look on YouTube. Watch some videos on the various grinders.

The best advice I could offer is to get a good one even if you think it's a stretch in your budget. You will thank me later when it's still running every day. Day in and day out...
    Last edited by sandollars; 12-14-2018 at 02:03 PM.

1. Consistent size grind, the ability to grind efficiently or accurately so that you don't see different size particles.
    2. Stay cool while grinding.
    3. For one cup a day you might consider a; Hario brand hand grinder with a built in storage container. I've never used one but it typically gets positive reviews, except if you go thru a lot of coffee per day. Under $40 US

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links