Otter Cafe / Keeping otters as pets?

I remember reading about an otter cafe in Tokyo (like dog/cat cafes) maybe 2 years ago? I've also seen some Youtubers visit it and make a vlog while they're in the cafe... I'm curious about how they take care of the otters when they close shop, and I wondered about maybe legal(?) issues about keeping otters as pets. Are they pets or employees..? Do you guys know other places like that?

Tsk tsk I personally hate pet fads. I'm not sure if otters are considered exotic pets, but I wish humans would just let them stay in the wild.

I dislike it too, tbh. But I was scrolling thru ig and reading blogs, and I read at: thefurrycompanion.com/faqs-for-aspiring-pet-otter-owners/ that it's possible to have a pet otter. Wc is a different setting from a cafe, it just seems like a cafe is not really an ideal place... Tried looking if there are similar places and I couldn't find any (or maybe I missed it).
    Last edited by PinkRose; 10-04-2019 at 04:51 AM.

Can you keep an otter like a pet?
    You can? It depends on the laws in your area. In some places, you can own them as an exotic pet, with the correct paperwork. Presumably some places in the world do not require permits.
    You should? Probably no. They are often called "ferrets on the crack." They can be expensive, destructive, smelly, in need of a special living environment and diet, and difficult to manage. Although you can solve the problem with food by purchasing Rachael Ray Nutrish Natural Chicken & Veggies Recipe Dry Dog Food I can’t help with the environment)

Otters are wild animals. They are not domesticated and I doubt they can be domesticated. And they shouldn't be domesticated. They belong in the wild frolicking about in streams, lakes and the ocean.
    Absurdity is the only reality - FZ

Super Moderator
    I wouldn't want to play with one. They are MEAN! They have cut my fishing short a few times. Lol. I saw a fish tail and fish head surface once while fishing...then where the center was popped out an Otter. It swallowed the fish and then started barking at me. Don't have to tell me twice I left. I will stick with dogs and cats as pets.
    "Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

Quote Originally Posted by MntnMan62 View Post
    Otters are wild animals. They are not domesticated and I doubt they can be domesticated. And they shouldn't be domesticated. They belong in the wild frolicking about in streams, lakes and the ocean.
    I don’t think you’re right, because wolves were once wild animals too, and in the course of time they were domesticated and evolved as domestic animals. I don’t think that domesticating an otter is bad

Quote Originally Posted by mimimikikiki View Post
    I don’t think you’re right, because wolves were once wild animals too, and in the course of time they were domesticated and evolved as domestic animals. I don’t think that domesticating an otter is bad
    The little runt of a dog that my wife calls a pet was never even remotely related to wolves. In fact the animal that dogs evolved from is long extinct. Domesticated dogs have no genetic connection to the wolves you see roaming the wilds today. The genetic divirgence of those "wolves" and dogs took place between 20,000 and 40,000 years ago. To suggest that modern man should domesticate a wild animal today is just...... I'm not going to say it because I'm going to get banned. I don't want to get banned. Clearly I'm in a bad mood. Sometimes I have to say that I find humans to be some of the most vile creatures on the planet.
    Absurdity is the only reality - FZ

Super Moderator
    The little runt of a dog that my wife calls a pet was never even remotely related to wolves. In fact the animal that dogs evolved from is long extinct. Domesticated dogs have no genetic connection to the wolves you see roaming the wilds today. The genetic divergence of those "wolves" and dogs took place between 20,000 and 40,000 years ago. To suggest that modern man should domesticate a wild animal today is just...... I'm not going to say it because I'm going to get banned. I don't want to get banned. Clearly I'm in a bad mood. Sometimes I have to say that I find humans to be some of the most vile creatures on the planet.

That's funny . . . I've been in a bad mood too. I think it's because many of the plans to move forward with the Covid re-openings are going backwards instead of forwards, and it's making me grumpy.

If I recall correctly, I think I remember reading that this whole situation with this COVID-19 pandemic started with people in China trying to use a certain kind of bat as pets, and the virus the bats had was transmitted to humans. Even if it's not true, there is always a risk of humans contracting something strange from an animal (wild or not). Why take the risk?

Humans should stop trying to domesticate wild animals and be happy with the dogs, cats, and birds etc. that are bred to be safe as pets.

There are many lessons to be learned from this Covid19 pandemic, and the dangers of messing around with wild animals should certainly be one of them.

~ Rose

Agreed otters and other wild animals should really be left alone and not captured as pet animals I believe.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links