Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who has a pet?

Who has a pet?

Tell me, do you have a pet? My kids really want a pet. But I'm scared. I'm afraid of responsibility

Quote Originally Posted by klaris View Post
    Tell me, do you have a pet? My kids really want a pet. But I'm scared. I'm afraid of responsibility
    What kind of pet and how old are your kids and where do u live @ house or apartment?

I live in an apartment. I have two children. The youngest son is 3 years old. The eldest son is 8 years old

Super Moderator
    Your kids need to be old enough to take on the responsibility of taking care of a pet, and right now, they're not. You really have enough to do just to take care of them.
    Kids don't understand how much work it is to take care of a pet - plus you're the one who will have to handle the added expense for pet food, trips to the vet for shots, medicine, etc.

When the time comes for you to seriously consider getting a pet, don't get one unless you really want one. Right now you're afraid of the responsibility, and you're not committed to getting a pet, which means you're probably going to be miserable if you give in and get one just to keep the kids happy.

If you get a pet now the responsibility is all yours. Nothing wrong with that. You just have to live with that. A dog can be highly rewarding for you, not just the kids. We had a Boxer about 20 years ago. She was amazing. We had her 11 glorious years. Our son was born when she was 8. We waited a bit and then when it came time my wife felt that although she loved our Roxy, she thinks she was allergic. So she went about looking for a hypoallergenic dog. Settled on a Havanese. Totally different experience going from a 45 pound dog to a 15 pound dog. As a result, that little dog, named Zeus, is really my wife's dog. But she takes him to work with her. He's the official greeter and Director of Hospitality for her office. Patience love him and when they are appointments they want to know if Zeus will be there. She says that grown men will get on the floor and play with him. He's quite adorable. BUT, you need to fully accept the responsibility. And once you bring it home, there is no going back. I have zero respect for people who buy a dog only to decide later on that it's not for them. You make the commitment, you live up to that commitment. If not ready to do that, don't get one.
    Absurdity is the only reality - FZ

I have a German shepherd

When I lived with my parents, I always had animals. At first they were the chims. They showed up at the house when I was about 3. Then there was a cat and a dog and a parrot. My children often give me an example and reproach. They say, "You had animals! Why can't we?"

Super Moderator
    When I lived with my parents, I always had animals. At first they were the chims. They showed up at the house when I was about 3. Then there was a cat and a dog and a parrot. My children often give me an example and reproach. They say, "You had animals! Why can't we?"
    Who took care of the pets when you were a child? At three years old, I don't think it was you. Your children will promise to take care of the pet, but then they'll lose interest and you'll be stuck with the work. You'll grow to resent the animal, and the kids too. It's not worth it, especially if you really don't want to have a pet.

Yeah, we finally caved in to our kids and got a black lab named Mr. Pink. Totally glad we did, but you're right—it's a lot of responsibility. Mind you, it's nothing if you already have kids. Dogs are way easier. I wouldn't change a thing, although the twice-daily dog walks have sort of fallen to me and sometimes I could use a break from that, just to get the hours back. I'm busy enough as it is.

Fish in my apartment also live. It's my hobby. I like watching them. It's soothing.
    But the kids probably all want to have a pet in the house. Who you can play with. My son also asked for a dog for a long time. My son is 9 years old. But I understood that I would not physically have time to walk with the dog and train the dog. I talked to my son about all the pros and cons of having a dog in our house. That's how we got the rabbit. Caring for the rabbit is also time-consuming, but there are some indulgences. You can walk with the rabbit at home. The main thing is a clean and spacious cage https://petonbed.com/best-indoor-rabbit-cages/, fresh water, quality food and sometimes advice from a veterinarian. My son can take care of the rabbit on his own.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links