Can I run my AC without a washable filter?

Can I run my AC without a washable filter?

Super Moderator
    Hello Jamaryy,

Why would you want to run your air conditioner without the filter?

Even though your air conditioning system will work without a filter, experts recommend against it, because it can cause severe damage to your AC system, and then you'll need to pay for expensive repairs.

Running the AC without a filter just for one night won't hurt your AC system, but it sure won't help it either. Running the AC any longer than a night without a filter risks serious damage to the Air Conditioner in addition to having poor indoor air quality.

That's not a good idea. An AC filter not only helps you clean the air that's circulating, it also ensures that the internal AC systems don't get clogged with dust particles and other pollutants. They trap various kinds of pollutants like dust, dirt, pollen, mold and mold spores, lint and fiber, human hair, pet fur, bacteria and other micro organisms and allergens. What it will block will depend upon the quality of the air filter you have installed. I came across this page few days back on best AC filters - https://www.hod9.com/best-ac-filter-for-air-flow/ - while researching for the kind of AC filters I should buy for my hvac system. I took delivery of the Honeywell FC100A1037 since it was a good fit.

I would say don't use your AC system without an appropriate set of filters. They are vital for the performance of your AC and for your well being.

Super Moderator
    Since he (or she) mentioned a "washable filter" I'm wondering if the question is about a small window air conditioner or the air-conditioning system for a whole house.

Super Moderator
    I am assuming they have a reusable filter and want to clean it. Probably want to know so they can wash and dry it before putting back. I personally would buy a second reusable filter if this is the case. Clean one while the other is the the unit.
    "Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

Hello. To be honest, you can run your AC without a washable filter. But there some minuses: it can cause your AC system and as a result, you will buy a new one AC. So, I think, that it is better to buy washable filters , and you won`t worry. Also, these filters have their advantages they are 100% environmental friendliness and they can be cleaned as often as needed (perfect for allergic people)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links