Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What is the best diet for a person who suffer depression?

This is a discussion on What is the best diet for a person who suffer depression? within the Off Topic forums, part of the Community Board category; Originally Posted by PinkRose Here is a link to a page I found that tells about how diet influences depression. Diet for Depression | Foods ...

Quote Originally Posted by PinkRose View Post
    Here is a link to a page I found that tells about how diet influences depression.

Diet for Depression | Foods that Help Depression

As a side note... If for some reason I couldn't have my coffee anymore... I know I'd be depressed!

Rose
    A very depressing thought indeed. However, coffee is one one of the "no no" lists for things people should be ingesting for depression.

"
    LIMIT CAFFEINE:
    The long-term (four hours or so) effects of caffeine are depression. Try to limit coffee to no more than one cup in the morning. Coffee can make you more alert for an hour or so, but later you get an opposite reaction. Caffeine tends to increase the release of insulin in the blood, and insulin lowers the blood sugar level. When you have low blood sugar levels, you begin to feel less sure of yourself, and have low energy levels, which can lead to the blues or depression. "

The Blues and Depression What You Can Do To Overcome Them | Counseling Services | Kansas State University

Say it ain't so...

On another note.. While starchy foods are bad for you in the long run, if you aren't suffering depression (just feeling bad due to circumstances) then having some sort of "comfort food" (for everyone this is different) it can make you feel a lot better

I know one thing that always made me feel better was a good breakfast in the morning.

I agree with lots of fresh fruits, vegetables and of course sneak in the occasional chocolate Helps a lot.

However, diet is not the only thing that needs to be fixed for depression. You need to look at if it's a chemical imbalance, in which case diet isn't enough. You also need to look at the cause of the depression if it is an external source.

2. # ADS

When you are depressed, you will not eat like you did before. Your eating patterns, among other things, are all messed up. You may miss a meal or two or you may not eat for days because you simply do not feel hunger. You may surprise yourself if you find that a week has passed and you still have not eaten.

Do drink plenty of water and just eat when you do feel hunger to keep your strength. Enjoy every bit of that chocolate and wash it down with a big glass of whole milk if you want!

And eventually the things you are doing to survive will prevail and you will snap out of it.

Sorry to hear of your depression.

Balanced diet, fruit and veg. Not sure about chocolate though.
    Sun, regular exercise and try looking at bach remedies. Im pretty sure there is one for depression.

Good luck
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TheCoffeeLocator where anyone, anywhere in the world, can sell their coffee to anyone, anywhere in the world

I think coffee helps for a while to feel good in depression, but it is not a permanent solution for the problem. For permanent solution, a regular visit to doctor, healthy diet, little more than care, lots of love and affection towards the person facing depression makes him/her feel really better. Always do some yoga for the positivity and extra energy. Yoga and meditation helps a lot for gaining energy and great idealistic thoughts.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanbrad View Post
    I think milk and ice cream is best for our health.but not take too much of ice creams suppose if u take u will get fever. per day one ice cream its make good health!
    Do you really think you will get a fever if you eat too much ice cream?

Quote Originally Posted by Alanbrad View Post
    I think milk and ice cream is best for our health.but not take too much of ice creams suppose if u take u will get fever. per day one ice cream its make good health!
    one of the dumbest things I've read lol, ice cream now gives you a fever?!? lol. And ice cream is the best thing for your health....let me know how that diet works out for ya

Depression, just have to force yourself to eat right and exercise. I'm talking hitting the weights and not a lazy walk around the neighborhood that many think is exercise, and doing cardio only day at least once a week. It will suck at first, but not even prescription drugs help as much as a good diet and exercising. You can check out bodybuilding.com forums and figure out some meal plans and basic workout plans to start with.
    Last edited by Surfer; 08-29-2013 at 06:46 AM.

Super Moderator
    Now, that wasn't nice at all. . .

In guessing that English isn't his native language, and maybe the translation for headache came out as fever. After all, who hasn't gotten a "brain freeze" and hurting head from eating ice cream too fast?

But, the concept of milk and ice cream being the best for our health is a different story. I realize that some people use ice cream as a comfort food when they're depressed. Lots of us reach for a bowl of ice cream - even though it's really not the best choice, it sure makes you feel good for a little while.

State of Depression vary from one person to another. Some people use caffeine for relaxation but for other it increases insomnia and hyperactivity which may cause more restlessness. Best anti depressive food is fresh vegetables and fruits. Ice cream and bananas are some how a mood elevator foods. It can work good.
    Some people, loss weight because of depression so that chocolate and milk would be good to retain some instant energy. A cup of hot milk is best for those who can't sleep at night because of depression. In past only organic coffee was used for its energizing effects.
    Last edited by foodandfoodies; 08-30-2013 at 01:01 AM.

You should avoid coffee and ice-cream and sugar - but also fast food!

diet can help a lot to overcome depression - have a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables in your diet

also do exercise as already suggested, go out into nature for long walks and include fun activities into your days - things that make you laugh and happy

drinking smoothies or juices for breakfast can help a lot!

there are some really good herbal teas that can help you:
    tutsan is one of them - I like its taste, drink it with honey or plain

For people suffering from depression, I can't suggest better thing than a cup of coffee. There have been some studies conducted which indicated that caffeinated coffee may contribute a lot in reducing suicides. One thing you must keep in mind that coffee should be consumed on a moderate level, i.e. two to four cups.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ads