Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is the best diet for a person who suffer depression?

This is a discussion on What is the best diet for a person who suffer depression? within the Off Topic forums, part of the Community Board category; what should a person eat when he is suffering with depression,does chocolate and milk help to cure depression?should avoid coffee and ice-cream and sugar?...

What is the best diet for a person who suffer depression?

what should a person eat when he is suffering with depression,does chocolate and milk help to cure depression?should avoid coffee and ice-cream and sugar?

2. # ADS

Hi franhardin,
    Eat a well balanced diet meal and if you do not eat well take multivitamins regularly.
    Chocolate is great to reduce depression and avoid caffeine, alcohol and other stimulants.
    Last edited by Gilroy; 01-28-2012 at 12:16 AM.

chocolate will not cure depression but will give you a short feeling of well being if you eat a fair bit, try foods that will give you energy, like carbs and pulses etc, this could give you enough energy to get out and about which in turn could help you over come your depression
    Last edited by dawida; 05-26-2012 at 06:56 AM.

Get plenty of exercise and go to a doctor.

lw

Super Moderator
    Even a moderate amount of exercise along with eating a balance diet can help mild depression.

There is no miracle food that makes things better, but some foods can make things worse. If you're eating lots of fatty, sugary, starchy, foods, they'll help slow you down and give you more of a "blah" feeling....which doesn't help if you're already depressed and stressed.

Simple things like taking a walk, planting some flowers, playing with a pet, or listening to music can brighten a person's mood. Helping other people can also brighten your outlook on life and make you feel useful. Something small like letting someone go ahead of you in the supermarket checkout line can brighten their day and yours.

Of course, talking to a doctor is the next logical step. There could be all sorts of reasons why you have the "blahs" and the solution may be as simple as taking extra Vitamin B or something like that.

Rose

One type of depression is due to temporary circumstances in a person's life. Another can be due to chemical imbalances in the brain. The first type mentioned can be alleviated with the great suggestions offered by Pink Rose in her above post. (For instance, I rescued a dog last summer and it really helped me get my mind off the difficulties I was facing at the time.)

lw

Fresh juice is great and not that hard to do. Try youtube and search inspirational videos/talks. Exercise and vitamin D is great. Life can certainly be difficult to deal with but that's what makes it great as when you are challenged and have a go and push through personal boundaries that's what gives you a great sense of pride. Good luck with your endeavour to be happier most of the time. Perspective on life is important. Generally people do care about other people, things will get better and life is worth hanging around for. Everything makes a difference also. No doubt simply you being brave enough to post has allowed some others who suffer the same issue to move forward somewhat.

In my opinion, fresh fruit juices.
    Last edited by PinkRose; 10-20-2012 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Remove a non-coffee related link from her post.

I must disagree with eating chocolate and ice-cream for depression. When you are depressed or frustrated you usually resort to something to dull your emotions. Eating with depression is no different than someone who drinks when they are depressed (except food doesn't damage your liver or impare you!). When I feel down I have an urge to eat something very rich and heavy. This heaviness makes you feel "heavy" and you forget your depression

The only way to overcome depression is to either

a) take dugs from a doctor if it some kind of disorder you have

b) face your problems and don't resort to over-eating, drinking, drugs or whatever you do.

The best diet would be a clean diet. The absolute cleanest would be a "raw" vegan diet (If you can't eat it raw, don't eat it at all!). Lots of people have trouble with this, so I would advise to limit meat and dairy intakes, and eat lots of fruit and vegetables. A healthy diet often balances any imbalances in your system

Excercise helps too. Excercise releases hormones that make you feel good. As well, excercise increases blood flow in your body and stimulates your system. It is a good way to clear your mind. I would also suggest meditation to someone with mental issues.

Super Moderator
    Here is a link to a page I found that tells about how diet influences depression.

Diet for Depression | Foods that Help Depression

As a side note... If for some reason I couldn't have my coffee anymore... I know I'd be depressed!

Rose

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads