Spam posts on the forum

EricL9

Mar 21, 2017
Pasadena, MD
Visit site
Admins, I don't know if you've noticed, but recently there has been a lot of spam posts to the forum. Might want to look in to tightening up security as it puts us all at risk.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello EricL9,

Thanks for the "head's up."

Also, another way to get everyone's (Moderators and Administrator's) attention is to report a post.

I deleted the posts and banned the culprit.

I have no clue how these SPAM posts are getting through. Usually a Moderator or Administrator has to approve a person's first few posts before they are visible to everyone on the Forum.

It appears that the website isn't flagging and marking the posts for attention. Either that, or someone is approving the posts without looking at them. :(

Thanks again for helping us keep a watchful eye on the Coffee Forum.

Rose

EricL9

Mar 21, 2017
Pasadena, MD
Visit site
Hello EricL9,

Thanks for the "head's up."

Also, another way to get everyone's (Moderators and Administrator's) attention is to report a post.

I deleted the posts and banned the culprit.

I have no clue how these SPAM posts are getting through. Usually a Moderator or Administrator has to approve a person's first few posts before they are visible to everyone on the Forum.

It appears that the website isn't flagging and marking the posts for attention. Either that, or someone is approving the posts without looking at them. :(

Thanks again for helping us keep a watchful eye on the Coffee Forum.

Rose
I tried to report a post, but I couldn't keep up with all of them. So I tried reporting the user, but I don't think Tapatalk has that functionality. Thanks for the attention on this issue and quick response. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to make a general update post on the forum saying you've noticed the spam and are working to correct any security issues. Just so you don't get more people inquiring about it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

EricL9

Mar 21, 2017
Pasadena, MD
Visit site
Anyone else been getting a flood of registration emails to their inboxes? My email is being flooded with random sites I never registered for. I'm receiving about 10 emails per minute. Hopefully it's nothing our random forum spammers did.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Anyone else been getting a flood of registration emails to their inboxes? My email is being flooded with random sites I never registered for. I'm receiving about 10 emails per minute. Hopefully it's nothing our random forum spammers did.

Eric,

Are you getting the E-mails in the Private Message area on this Coffee Forum, or are they coming to your private E-mail address at home or on your phone?

If the messages are from people on the Coffee Forum and they're going into your Private Messages, the problem is here, and those people can be banned from the Forum.

If it's going to your private E-mail, then it's coming from someplace else.

Rose

Last edited:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I've just signed up to the forum - what is the spam about? Or what is spam?

Hello Rach 23,

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website.

Sometimes, people sign up to be members of the Coffee Forum just so they can hit the Forum with their advertisements, try to sell us stuff, or just try to post their gibberish and non-coffee related ramblings. This is the SPAM that we're referring to.

Those individuals get banned as soon as the Moderators and Administrators are alerted as to what they're up to. That's why it's important to report any problems as soon as you notice them.

Those undesirables do not have access to a person's private E-mail address, but, until they're banned, they can send their ramblings in the Private Messages area on the Coffee Forum.

After they're banned, and their computer's IP address is blocked, they can't participate in the Forum anymore.

I hope that helps to answer your question.

Rose

EricL9

Mar 21, 2017
Pasadena, MD
Visit site
They're arriving in my personal email account. It's the same email I used when I registered for this forum. It just had me wondering since there were spammers on here last week. I was hoping the spammers didn't start all the useless posts in an effort to disguise the fact they were harvesting emails of the forum members. I'm trying to track it down as well. I just thought it was quite a coincidence and wondered if any other forum members have run into a similar issue. Just trying to narrow it down. I'm hoping it's not from here, but I suppose anything is possible.