Drip/pour over best decaf coffee beans (non-espresso use)

eieiocoffee

Dec 23, 2023
New York, NY
Visit site
Hi All:

i'm trying to find the best full bodied, richly flavored decaf beans for drip/pour over.

i use an Oxo 8-cup electric which has a "rain showerhead" type of water dispersion part so the water is well dispersed over the entire surface. there is also a timed bloom period as well, so they did think through the various necessary steps for superior results. this particular Oxo is similar to the Technivorms in that water is properly dispersed when dripping, so it's akin to a pour over method. Technivorm has a minimum quantity of 20 oz each brewing, while Oxo's 8-cup model can do my preferred 14 oz size due to a separate, smaller brew basket - see, they really did think through the details! ;)

i've enjoyed Counter Culture's Slow Motion as well as La Colombe's Monte Carlo (slightly burnt tasting). I prefer the Slow Motion slightly over the Monte Carlo due to Monte Carlo's slight burnt taste.

i would really appreciate the good folks here who enjoy decaf to chime in on their all-time decaf bean favorites, in particular ones that are suitable for drip machines/pour over method.

thank you all in advance. look forward to hearing!

eieiocoffee

Dec 23, 2023
New York, NY
Visit site
thus far, my limited experience only includes two decafs that are very very good:

Slow Motion from Counter Culture
Monte Carlo from La Colombe

someone mentioned that Methodical is also very good - iirc, they are from South Carolina.

eieiocoffee

Dec 23, 2023
New York, NY
Visit site
Updates:

i find the George Howell "Decaf Jardin ESPRESSO" to be particularly outstanding, beating all other decafs i've tried to date!

the next best might be the Atomic Roasters decaf.

any thoughts? thank you!

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
no love for decaf?

so few decaf drinkers out there!

It's only a very small customer base wanting high-quality decaf. And finding a full-bodied and rich decaf is hard to find simply due to the fact it's been decaffeinated. During the decaf process, a LOT of the body is lost - often the beans are soaked in water or chemicals and then dried again - something is lost in that process. I find MC and Sugarcane decaf to retain most of the original flavor. Great decafs are going to be easily $18-20+ for 12oz (from a craft roaster).

We have a decaf espresso blend that is rich and yet smooth and have had some of our customers report using it for drip/pour-over and comment on how good it was compared to other decafs out there.
It uses the Swiss Water® process vs chemicals of other decafs.