How does a home roaster deal with so many choices in green coffee?

jaredgibson87

Sep 19, 2012
Decatur, Alabama
Visit site
So, I purchased 10 pounds of Sumatra Mandheling from Sweet Maria's in the middle of January of this year. I'm down to about four pounds left and considering buying more Sumatran, but now I've got the option of more Mandheling, Onan Ganjang Cultivar, Aek Nauli, and Batak Peaberry, where earlier this year I only had the option of Mandheling and Lintong Sijamapola, iirc. I like having options when buying anything, but with so many choices and a limited budget, I think I might be "missing out" if I pick one and then something else runs out. Obviously, I quote "missing out" because with the quality of coffee I've bought from SM so far, I don't think I'd be missing out on anything except good coffee from a different part of the island. I don't think I need help deciding on which of these coffees from Sumatra to get next; what I'd like to ask is how does any home roaster decide on just one specific lot of coffee fro SM (or any other similar website)? Do you just pick one and enjoy it or do you do like me and obsess over the minor little nuances of each from a specific country/region until you're dizzy?

cestrin

Jul 19, 2013
Tempe, AZ
Visit site
I have ~75 roasts under my belt and from the beginning have been getting 2-pound bags from SM. This allows me to try different origins and go through them fast enough that I usually have time to buy more before they run out. I typically get 4 2-pound bags at a time, the can last me ~ a month. I have been roasting for a friend as well so I've been going through them in about half the time. If you are getting overwhelmed, get 2 or 3 2-pound bags at a time and go from there. There's not a huge discount on buying in bulk...

jaredgibson87

Sep 19, 2012
Decatur, Alabama
Visit site
If you are getting overwhelmed, get 2 or 3 2-pound bags at a time and go from there. There's not a huge discount on buying in bulk...
Duly noted on the buying in bulk. I already knew I liked Sumatran coffee, and I've completely enjoyed the Mendheling. I've still got a little to roast through while I decide if I want to purchase any more of the Mendheling or if I want to go with something different. I've never roasted peaberries nor have I knowingly drunk peaberry coffee from any local coffee shops, so that might be at least part of my next order. I think your answer is pretty much what I'm looking for when asking how others order, and I thank you for your input. :)

jaredgibson87

Sep 19, 2012
Decatur, Alabama
Visit site
Also, I don't know if it's my browser being goofy or if it's a CoffeeForums problem, but when I hit the enter button to start a new paragraph, it doesn't work, so I'm kinda stuck making one long paragraph. I'm content with blaming IE for that problem ,though :D

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Also, I don't know if it's my browser being goofy or if it's a CoffeeForums problem, but when I hit the enter button to start a new paragraph, it doesn't work, so I'm kinda stuck making one long paragraph. I'm content with blaming IE for that problem ,though :D

You're not alone. Several people have had this problem, and somehow it magically fixes itself.

The next time you get ready to post a message, scroll down to the bottom right side of your screen and click on the Go Advanced box. You'll get another box that seems to have more options for writing messages. Some people have been able to make new paragraphs by doing that.

You could blame Internet Explorer, but I think it's something that happens on this Forum from time to time.

Lately, I've been having a problem on this Forum when I type an entire message, and click on Post Quick Reply, and then I have a screen come up that says that the web page can't be found. The entire message gets deleted, and it's never posted. I hate when that happens! And most of the time I'm too frustrated to type the whole thing over again.

Rose

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I normally try to purchase different bean that are on sale or have special prices. I have purchased about 40 different types from all over the World and normally I try to buy bigger quantity now.
I used to purchase few one pound bags but it gets very expensive. So now I buy pretty big purchase beginning of the year and maybe another around July or August to save money.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Do yourself a favor and start sampling beans from around the world. We always have a Sumatran in our shop but it's really just a blender for me. If you like the sumatran flavor profile, try something from South America sometime. The beans tend to be low acid, like Sumatran, but bring more to the table than the earthy characteristic so prevalent in the Sumatrans, IMO.

Last edited:

jaredgibson87

Sep 19, 2012
Decatur, Alabama
Visit site
Do yourself a favor and start sampling beans from around the world. We always have a Sumatran in our shop but it's really just a blender for me. If you like the sumatran flavor profile, try something from South America sometime. The beans tend to be low acid, like Sumatran, but bring more to the table than the earthy characteristic so prevalent in the Sumatrans, IMO.
I am open to trying new coffees, of course. Coffees with a lower acid taste are more my thing, so I'll definitely look in to something in South America. I see Sweet Maria's has a few recent shipments of Brazilian coffee; I remember trying some Brazilian coffee at a local coffee shop and liking it fairly well. I might give that a shot on my next order from SM. I'll look around their other South American offerings as well. Also, just out of curiosity, what do you blend your Sumatran with?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Jared,

Do you work at a Starbucks that sells bags of coffee? From what I remember, Starbucks used to write descriptions regarding the beans origins and the flavors on their coffee bags. You may get an idea about the different types of coffee by reading some of the bags (during the day when you're working.) Then, you can make a list and order some new beans from Sweet Maria's to roast.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
i like blending sumatras with peruvians and/or colombians for low acid blends, africans or guats for balanced, brighter blends, africans AND centrals for a full, balanced cup. We also use a small amount of dry processed sumatran in our best selling espresso blend for the low acid bottom note as well as crema production.

Ronc23

Oct 1, 2013
Michigan
Visit site
SM will sometimes offer a sample pack of different origins or they offer a mix of different beans from "Africa". That is good because you have the ability to try different ones! I've done this numerous times and/or purchased 2 lbs of different origins to taste the differences. I have only been roasting for 3 years but I would imagine you could never stop finding great beans!