Looking for Mentors

MSBailey

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Good Morning Everyone,
I have been connected with this industry for the past 10 years, attending events and workshops. And now is my time to fully move forward without any other commitments. I am literally free all summer and am asking anyone interested (preferably on the east coast, but not exclusively) to consider having me for a few hours and showing my their operation, from roasting to packaging and shipping. I need visuals. I am currently roasting on a Behmor 1600 and making contacts with local importers.
I am on Long island would love to hear from anyone open to showing off their stuff!
I look forward to seeing you...Mary

MSBailey

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Good Morning Peter,

I want start with a small roaster/retail/wholesale shop here in my village. 10 years ago I was focused on a coffee house with a performing arts venue… no food, just something to compliment a cup of coffee, and some point of sale items.
But, when I came to revisit the coffee industry, I felt different about it. I want to start with roasting and see what happens from there.
My village is a busy metropolitan area, 30 min outside NYC. We have lots of traffic, pedestrians, and a train station with a direct line to the city. Much of our community commutes into NYC every day.
We also have many restaurants and bars, good night life. For that reason, I am not counting out my original idea. There is only ONE Starbucks and another small coffee shop by the train station with virtually no inside seating and a table outside. They close early, so it’s not a nighttime destination. They don’t roast, but get their beans from somewhere in the west coast.
There is some turnover with the retail shops, so when the time comes I think I can find a suitable place. But, I’m not there yet.