Roasting Center... An idea.

Fresh Roaster

Jun 30, 2006
Visit site
We build a highly automated ventless coffee roaster (3.5K) and we've got this idea...

The machines are great for a cafe and our program of pay for what you roast is great for most as there is little up front cost. But... recent increases in coffee prices, tough economy, etc have made it very difficult for some of our smaller cafes and clients to hit minimums required. What we've found is that this is pretty common. There are plenty of cafes out there that could use private label in store fresh roasted coffee. It's a great marketing tool and provides the ultimate in quality. But some just can't produce enough to merit a dedicated machine. What we thought might be a neat idea is to create coffee roasting centers where you could go and roast your own fresh coffee in smaller quantities. Sort of a co-op. This way, a place doing a couple hundred pounds could still get fresh roasted coffee without the burden of minimums greater than their capacity. Could also be used for sample roasting for those not in a poisition to set up a lab and/or sample roaster.

Bottom line is we thought it might be a cool idea to give access to fresh roasting to anyone and everyone regardless of their volume and in the aggregate, the volume would ultimately merit installing numerous machines in a central location for use by "the smaller guys" who still wanted custom coffee and fresh roasted. We're setting two centers up right now as a test but I thought I'd guage it here a little. First two sites will be Los Angeles and San Franciso. The centers will offer full service green coffee sales, storage, laboratory (color and mositure analysis), consulting, cupping, classes, etc. as well. Or you can bring your own and just roast.

Each center will have at least three roasters capable of producing 20 pounds of coffee per hour in amounts from 1-5 pounds. In addition each center will have an award winning ColorTrack color roast analyzer (SCAA product of the year in 2009 and 2011) as well as Sinar moisture analyzers. Users will also be able to save and store roast profiles. Prices will be based on a per pound fee which will be calculated at 60-70% of equivalent wholesale prices.

We though it might be a cool idea, especially for those that can't afford and/or do not have the facilities to install a roaster. The laboratory services and devices are a bonus because we have them and normally the smaller guys just don't get access to that despite its importance. We like the idea but let me know what you think.

Torrentula81

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
It sounds like a good idea. I'm good at playing devils advocate so maybe you can overcome some obstacles I'm thinking off top of my head. From what I understand this would target small businesses and individual consumers. That's good cause I think the big chains are out. Read an article that Fred Meyer and Costco roast in store. I'm sure more do as well. Regards to small businesses: Be smart about not pricing a huge discount on bulk. The whole idea here is for them to serve freshly roast coffee. Not 2-3 week old coffee they roasted in batch to get the discount. This is already assuming their going to you because the price of fresh beans + your device is lower then cost they were going through. So they'll use you regardless if cost is less so discount only hurts consumers in the end. Some shops will roast for freshness but in tough economy I could see businesses using your service to cut corners and in the end not provide any better product then before. Id calculate you're price list for businesses to automatically include "free" pickup and delivery. The less burdened they are or seamless it is the more likely they would give you a chance. I'd also have an espressso machine in their if your going to have anyone working vs fully automated. Businesses could test their roasted beans beside any greens that your selling. Maybe become a distributor as well for the local area shops. Hey let's face it, in America there's more people serving coffee then city blocks it seems. If someones going to be there why not have them make their own pay making espressos for passer by and save roasting money as profit. For the individual customers:I think your going to have a tough time here. Most people who love fresh roasted coffee are doing it at home and can be done for under $200. I myself can't see paying $2 premium to roast my own bag when the machine would pay for itself. It's cheap to acquire a home roaster. But you could make money selling your unroasted coffee for people like me. I think most of your customers would be people asking "just how fresh is this to my Starbucks". Like I said before is you serve coffee that's one way to get them in the door to explain roasting. They'll taste it right then and there. Not feeling like it's another sales rep trying to get my money. They will taste it before they buy and become a customer. The downside here I think you're going to have an incredibly high amount of churn if you don't provide a reason for them to keep coming back. Inevitably they'll find out about home roasting and how cheap it is. Maybe will try it out of pure curiosity. So hopefully your selling them their weekly supply of beans or catering quality drinks to those who just don't have the time to even start. You almost have to wonder are you better off selling home roasting kits and making profit off of that or try to keep that in the dark and try to sell them on your roasting services. Maybe both. Either way, I think the money is in providing long term services outside of roasting to maintain your profits from old customers. Selling your own beans is a big win. With the cost of shipping and waiting times, plus not knowing how good they taste until after they've purchased, they have reason to keep buying from you. So yeah that was long. Just off top of my head. In short, just selling a drop off roast service alone may not be enough. The idea sounds good though. Wish you best of luck.

Last edited:

DirtyDave

I have tried coffees from ventless roasters and I have built a ventless roaster myself.
I have abandoned the idea of the ventless roaster.
The ensuing effluent put back on the beans will ruin the most careful roast of the best beans.
This is a compromise that isn't worth the convenience of being able to do without the trouble of running a vent.
Just one man's opinion of course..........

Fresh Roaster

Jun 30, 2006
Visit site
I have tried coffees from ventless roasters and I have built a ventless roaster myself.
I have abandoned the idea of the ventless roaster.
The ensuing effluent put back on the beans will ruin the most careful roast of the best beans.
This is a compromise that isn't worth the convenience of being able to do without the trouble of running a vent.
Just one man's opinion of course..........

Our roaster does not recirculate, just disposes of the exhaust so there is no effluent put back into the system of air flow. I noticed you're in the Bay Area. You're welcome to come and check it out anytime (Santa Clara). Cheers.

DirtyDave

How do you "dispose" of the exhaust.
If you attempt to filter it, that presents an annoying maintenance issue.
Are you saying only fresh/heated air is introduced to your roastchamber?
Is this a drum style roaster or a random spouting bed air roaster?
Don't get me wrong, best of luck in your enterprise.

Latest posts