ROR unstable on first crack

Aguilar

Aug 10, 2023
Spain
Visit site
Hello everyone!
I have a problem especially with washed coffees.
When I get to the first crack I can't get a stable ROR.
It comes down to me.
Captura de Pantalla 2023-08-10 a las 12.29.59.png

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
That's not entirely unusual... when beans hit first crack, and they start releasing moisture/cracking, you will get a spike in temp. The best thing to do is about 30 seconds below you hitting FC drop your heat down a bit to account for the coming spike. I tend to also like a high fan setting at this stage.. it tends to smooth out the ROR a bit.

Aguilar

Aug 10, 2023
Spain
Visit site
Great, I'll try that.
I lower the temperature in the minute 4 "and 5"
I don't know if I would have to wait longer to download it and thus the ror will not drop so much at the end.
sorry for so many questions. I'm a bit new

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Great, I'll try that.
I lower the temperature in the minute 4 "and 5"
I don't know if I would have to wait longer to download it and thus the ror will not drop so much at the end.
sorry for so many questions. I'm a bit new
no prob... its a bit subjective on size of roaster and load... I run a 12K ... I have to drop a good minute in advanced (sometimes more /less depending on bean). My machine takes a bit for the beans to react to changes in gas...

Aguilar

Aug 10, 2023
Spain
Visit site
I'll have to try.
my machine is 5 kg I always put 4 kg
It's something that drives me crazy. because there are some coffees that the fall is much more pronounced.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
I'll have to try.
my machine is 5 kg I always put 4 kg
It's something that drives me crazy. because there are some coffees that the fall is much more pronounced.
Yea.. and honestly don't overthink it too much. Taste your coffee and adjust - don't adjust simply because the ROR curve isn't linear. I think the technology is helpful but it shouldn't be the only guide of flavor.