Saeco Exprelia wont power on at all after shutting down during descaling cycle

Mr. William Pickle

Nov 6, 2023
Calgary
Visit site
Hello,

Hoping to find some guidance in fixing my Exprelia. Thanks for reading.

Well I was running a descaling cycle, walked away and when I came back the machine was off and wouldnt turn back on.

I suspect something must have fried in the power board. Im fine to replace it but not sure if that is really the issue. Or if it was ultimately caused by a motor or heater issue will I just end up frying the new replacement board too?

Mr. William Pickle

Nov 6, 2023
Calgary
Visit site
You made coffee with it before without any problem?
There is usually a fuse on or close to the PCB. Check it first.

Thanks for the reply...

Yes, it was making coffee. And 100% functional.

I checked the fuses on the PCB as well as the thermal fuses on the boilers. They are all intact, and I have electrical continuity across the full boiler circuit.

Mr. William Pickle

Nov 6, 2023
Calgary
Visit site
Check if you have low voltages after the transformer. There are usually two different voltages, 9VAC and 16VAC, for example. Make sure they are all there.

Can I do that if the power board wont power on? That's the problem. I have AC going into the board, but then the board seems totally dead. I just know enough to check voltage and continuity, but not much more than that, so maybe i'm missing something?

Mr. William Pickle

Nov 6, 2023
Calgary
Visit site
Yes, the transformer is before the board. The board may need multiple voltages from the transformer. If one is missing, you may still have another one on the board.

Are you sure that's the case with the Exprelia model? As I can measure AC 120V going directly into the power board.

This is the board... https://www.wholelattelove.com/products/ga-11021342-power-board-120v

We are at the limit of my electrical understand so entirely possible Im mistaken.

Thanks again for your help and input!

JuraGuy

Jul 17, 2023
The Woodlands, Texas
Visit site
Yes, the transformer is on the board. Now it's not very safe to measure voltages. But you can still check continuity of the transformer first. Then follow its output side to other components, especially diodes and mosfets. There is usually burn sign you can see.

Mr. William Pickle

Nov 6, 2023
Calgary
Visit site
Yes, the transformer is on the board. Now it's not very safe to measure voltages. But you can still check continuity of the transformer first. Then follow its output side to other components, especially diodes and mosfets. There is usually burn sign you can see.

Okay, I understand now...Im comfortable to measure the voltages across a component. Im aware of the seriousness of AC. I'll have a look tonight.

Thanks so much! I'll let you know what I find.

Mr. William Pickle

Nov 6, 2023
Calgary
Visit site

Finally, got around to checking the transformer, but i'm not seeing voltage moving into/ through it.

I've made a little diagram of the pins and which have continuity. There is AC going into the board. Perhaps Im just not sure how to check the voltages into out of the transformer. I had thought id be able to see the ac across 1-3 or 2-4? Im also not seeing any current move through the fuses.

I don't know enough to know if this is the expected behaviour or not.

Sorry for the delay in response. Work project sucking my soul.

Attachments

• s-l500 b.jpg
    s-l500 b.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 12