DF54 static cling

MarcBeck

Sep 17, 2023
Hawaii
Visit site
Like many others I got my DF54 and for the most part I love the grinder. For one, it's quiet! Best of all it grinds very consistently and there are/is no clumping at all in the grounds.

My issue is when the grounds come out of the chute in addition to going into the portafilter OR plastic cup they stick to the outside of the machine and chute. I've used a small soft round brush gently up the chute and that does help for a day or two but then were back to static spatter! And yes I DO RDT/mist the beans before grinding. Actually, I've tried misting and NOT misting and get the same results.

Are other DF54 owners experiencing the same thing and how are you dealing with it? I've considered wiping the outside of the grinder and around the chute with a dryer sheet to see if the antistatic of the dryer sheet would help stop the cling.

Also, I've created a ticket with Turin 5 or 6 days back but haven't heard a thing from them.

MarcBeck

Sep 17, 2023
Hawaii
Visit site
I did find this video on youtube. In the video they person talking says you need to brush out the chute about once a week. I find I have to brush it out every other day.

MarcBeck

Sep 17, 2023
Hawaii
Visit site
I'm using a dark roast (Lavazza Crema e Aroma). I do give the beans a good shake after 2 spritz of water but I'll try 3 and see if that makes a difference. I live in Hawaii so I'm not in a dry climate (avg humidity is 35%-55%).

So far, it seems the only solution is to run a brush up the chute before every grind. I opened a ticket with Turin but they aren't responding.

shadow745

Top Poster Of Month
Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
No clue with that particular grinder, but call me unimpressed with the onslaught of lower tier grinders being spit out. Yes lower cost options can be a good thing, but not so much when lower grade parts and poor design cause more workarounds to be resolved.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
I would call them... the people behind these grinders are business peers and are good people. I own an older model and love it... it displaced my Mazzer. I would try a lighter roast just to see if its the coffee oils causing your blockage.

MarcBeck

Sep 17, 2023
Hawaii
Visit site
Update: I've been using a small round brush to clean the chute, and after a good brushing (and watching the video I posted) I have NOT brushed it out or a couple of days. Also, I have been misting with 3 pumps and a good shake. Happily, I'm not getting the static mess. My plan is to see if I keep misting how many days can I go before I start to see the static again. Maybe because it was new it was more susceptible to static and now that I'd had several dozen loads run through it it's happy now?

MusicPhan, I've opened 2 tickets with them on Turingrinders.com and only got the automated reply with my ticket number. No other response. Oh, and I left a review of the DF54 too. So far I'm not impressed with their customer service but also I realized they're a small company.

And I stand by my earlier comment - I love the grinder. Through all the static and misting etc it still grinds very consistently.

MarcBeck

Sep 17, 2023
Hawaii
Visit site
Update #2: I stopped RDT-ing (as an experiment) just to see if there was a difference. Keep in mind that after the grind is finished and I have applied a couple of gentle pumps on the bellows AND I have removed the portafilter I have been giving the bellows a couple of firm pumps to clean out the chute. Low and behold, no static!!!

I kinda wonder if the initial static was due to just newness of the grinder. Also, I'm not using the plastic cup to catch the grounds. I'm using a magnetic dosing funnel attached to the portafilter, and not sure if the plastic was contributing to the static too.

I had stopped the RDT just to see if it was really necessary as I live in slightly humid place (Hawaii) and I found there was no difference. Also, as an experiment I had stopped WDT-ing because the grinder says it has a "declumper" which by the way seems like it's doing a great job. Just for the sake of experimenting I started WDT-ing the grounds again and feel the extraction is a bit better but more data is needed at this time :)