Hours for coffee shop

hobbit411

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Hello!
I work at a place that recently started selling coffee and espresso drinks. My work place would like to expand on our coffee success, and is contemplating changing the hours. What are the recommended hours? When can we expect a morning rush? Are there any other times to expect good business?
Thank you! :)

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "hobbit411"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website.

You didn't mention what type of establishment you work for. You said you recently started selling coffee and espresso drinks. Do you work in a restaurant or cafe?

Do you already have established customers who are asking for expanded hours?

Morning rush hours differ according to the population you're serving. (college crowd, hospital nearby, people on their way to work, etc.) It would be helpful if you could give us a little more information.

Rose

hobbit411

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Thank you Rose,

We are a Frozen Yogurt shop. We do operate around many businesses as well as a college campus. We have had many of our coffee customers asking for early hours. We open by 11 daily. It is the cost of staying open that we are concerned with if no one were to come in earlier. I hope this helps.

hobbit411 :)

stevew443

I live in an area that has a large number of commuters, so the successful shop is one that is open at least by 6 AM. Based on my college experience, no coffee shop would have seen me much before 11 AM.
For an area that serves businesses, any time shortly before the normal start of business would work, so 8 or 8:30 AM may be a good time to open.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
The best answer someone could give you is this:

If you want to also serve coffee, that's fine, but don't alter your hours for the coffee crowd. They are not the ones who created the success for the current business. If you change loyalties, you're changing businesses.

Decide whether you want to be a frozen yogurt shop or a coffee shop. One will take a decided backseat to the other and the lesser will erode the core of the greater. Greed kills. Be business savvy, or it will bite you in the @ss.

Remember, the answer you need isn't always the one you were looking for.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
When you say "We have had many of our coffee customers asking for early hours." would there be enough people to generate enough business to make opening earlier worthwhile? Is it worth altering your staff schedules and disrupting their routines?

Do most of the people order coffee and espresso based drinks throughout the day-along with their frozen yogurt, or do they come in specifically for coffee?

You may eventually decide to try opening a couple hours sooner and see how it goes. You can always do some extra chores around the shop while you wait for customers to show up for their coffee.

Rose

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
We open at 6 am and close at 8 pm during the week. 7 am on Saturday and Sunday. Close at 11 pm on Friday and Saturday.
However, i friends who owns 12 shops and their opening hours different. It really depends on the demand of people.

This is what you should do.

Open at 6 am and see how many people actually come in.
Track the number by hourly for about a month and set permanent hours.

I don't think its worth it have it open for 5 customers but if you have over 10-15, you will definitely grow larger.

It goes the same way with closing hours.

Good luck.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing opening a few hours earlier (8 or 9 am)would not only bring in some coffee customers but yogurt seekers as well.