2 ounce Foil Pack question

ChocLabCoffee

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I have a prospective customer who will be buying my coffee packed in 2 ounce foil flat bags. Since I will be roasting this in the morning and grinding either in the evening or the next morning I feel the need for valves in the foil bags. Am I correct in this assumption? We are currently only selling coffee by the pound for home use and we use valved bags for our customers who want us to grind their coffee for them but I see many manufacturers who do not use valves in their small flat bags.

GreenDude

Feb 14, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
Long before we had a nice portion pack machine, someone in my company (he he) used to take a push pin and pop each of the bags. As long as its getting to your customer fast you shouldnt need worry about stale coffee....IMO

Ellie

Dec 27, 2004
GA
Visit site
If you bag your coffee within a week after roasting, and bag in a foil bag without a degassing valve, the bag will burst...found this out the hard way. I believe the added cost for a valve on those little 2-oz pillow packs is only about $.04.

wmark

Nov 12, 2008
Canada
Visit site
Sorry to hijack your thread but

How does the industry sell 2 to 2 1/2 oz bags for brewing 10 cups of coffee when the suggested use for geeks is 2 oz for every 6 -8 ounces of water ?

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
They assume you use a drip brewer, whereas cups are measured at only 4oz. A 10 cup brew pot would only be 40 liquid ounces. Weird but true.

Update: Wait a minute, geeks use 2oz coffee for 8oz water? Ha, I just noticed that. Actually, it's two tablespoons (hardly 2oz) coffee per 6-8 ounces water. ;-)

wmark

Nov 12, 2008
Canada
Visit site
I thought that it is two ounces by volume not by weight
or as suggested on another "How to" article (for press pot).....0.45 ounces of coffee by weight to every 6 ounces (by volume of water) .............now quickly what does that mean the density of coffee is ?

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
Yeppers, 2 tablespoons of coffee grounds (((dry weight ((of course (or should I say write coarse))) = close to 1/2 ounce, or as you specified, 0.45oz.

Density? Hahaha, I take it that was a joke? I guess it would depend on how fine your coffee is ground, LOL.

btw - wb wmark! :D