2020 SCA Expo in Portland is Cancelled.

wmark

Nov 12, 2008
Canada
Visit site
Incredible! isn't it that they have not cancelled the event, April 23 - 26.

The Olympics have been postponed, all international borders have been sealed, the world is on lock down but Coffee Expo is going forward.

I know the SCA is between a rock and a hard place as the venue will not let the SCA out of their contractual obligations. Oregon has declared a state of emergency but that does not preclude the cancellation of the event despite that is recommended that no gatherings of 50 or more (or 10 or more) people be held (depending on the jurisdiction).

If it were up to me, the venue should be on my blacklist of places to never hold an event again. Period. It is the concern of profit over human health.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I bet if the lawyers for the SCA tried hard enough, they'd find a way to get out of the contract for the event.

Exposing (and shaming) the venue publicly would probably do the trick. Threatening to never return for future events may help too.

But, if Trump get his way, (against all sorts of advise) and the Country goes back to business as usual around Easter time, it would be difficult to cancel the event - since it's scheduled for April 23-26.

wmark

Nov 12, 2008
Canada
Visit site
Miracle of miracles...................I just got an email that the event is cancelled.

Timing makes them look bad. I mean the Olympics in June had been postponed for a year

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Miracle of miracles...................I just got an email that the event is cancelled.

Timing makes them look bad. I mean the Olympics in June had been postponed for a year

Thanks for the update.

The Specialty Coffee Association can always reschedule their expo for another time. Cancelling it was the proper thing to do.

wmark

Nov 12, 2008
Canada
Visit site
and now this..............U.S. corona virus cases expected to double in the next 3 days ?

The expo was outright cancelled..........next event is in New Orleans next year.
btw............the Portland event was cancelled well after the Poland and Australia events were cancelled weeks ago

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
All the people at SCA are good peeps - I don't know why it took so long but I'm sure there is a reasonable reason. Keep in mind SCA folks are industry folks that left their coffee careers to support our industry!

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
All the people at SCA are good peeps - I don't know why it took so long but I'm sure there is a reasonable reason. Keep in mind SCA folks are industry folks that left their coffee careers to support our industry!

Sometimes, it's very difficult for an executive board (good peeps) to get enough votes to make a decision. I picture some people holding off and wanting to wait, because they were hoping this will all blow over soon.

Now that the decision is made, I bet they'll all sleep a little better at night.

wmark

Nov 12, 2008
Canada
Visit site
As I mentioned in my original post.................the issue is not the SCA. The issue is the venue who was holding their feet to the fire due to the contractual obligation despite the national situation, even the state situation. For God sakes, the olympics got cancelled before they let the SCA out

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
As I mentioned in my original post.................the issue is not the SCA. The issue is the venue who was holding their feet to the fire due to the contractual obligation despite the national situation, even the state situation. For God sakes, the olympics got cancelled before they let the SCA out

Agree.. and I wasn't pointing any fingers. I just know someone that works for the SCA and I know they were just as frustrated at the situation.