2nd BURN

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Okay...so my first batch taught me a few things. Number one: I needed a real cooling system and not a Mickey Mouse set up that is cumbersome and difficult...no disrespect to Mickey of course. Number two? Well, I'm not convinced that my roast time coming down to under 14 minutes was because of a smaller batch size of 400g, because I use a variac that allows me to turbo up the voltage, and I was roasting with the variac in the 140V mode. Here is the 2nd burn:

20160606_181536-1024x576.jpg

A bit darker roast than the first. I took it just up to and a little into SC. Looks good...tasted good, but still am looking forward to cupping it tonight after 2 days rested when I get home. It smells amazing!

My new cooling system consists of an in line exhaust fan that I picked up on Craigslist for $25.00 that pulls air through the beans at a rate of 4cf/sec. Well acutally that is the airflow of the fan without the restriction of a cooling tray...but the velocity of air can be controlled by the cooling tray with the opening in the "screen". This tray was part of another piece and acted as a strainer for draining the liquid from a stock pot (found at a thrift store for a buck!). Anyhow, I placed the fan into a 5 gallon bucket, added an on/off toggle switch, and am good for ever now! Will post picture of that later.

Cheers y'all...

Peaberry!

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Alex. Once I dial in a decent roast profile on this beast, I've got a batch of Guatemalan Peaberry to burn for you! DID YOU SAY ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY DOLLAR COFFEE MUG? So does it have the ability to make bad coffee taste good, or is it so expensive because it's gold plated? Diamond encrusted silver mug? What? I prefer to drink my coffee from dirty thrift store mugs...just sayin'...

Peaberry

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Well I didn't do an official cupping, but I did brew a pot this morning, and the coffee is amazing I must say. This was some Guatemala coffee my daughter bought at Bodhi leaf for me at Christmas. I've got some Ethiopia Sumatra and still have some of the Guatemala left about 350 grams of the Guatemala. Once I've done all of this I'll probably try some Papua New Guinea or maybe some Peru. Heck the choices seen Limitless!

Peaberry

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Thanks Alex. Once I dial in a decent roast profile on this beast, I've got a batch of Guatemalan Peaberry to burn for you! DID YOU SAY ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY DOLLAR COFFEE MUG? So does it have the ability to make bad coffee taste good, or is it so expensive because it's gold plated? Diamond encrusted silver mug? What? I prefer to drink my coffee from dirty thrift store mugs...just sayin'...

Peaberry

Mr. Peaberry,

Alex mentioned the $160 coffee mug in this thread. In fact, you replied to it.

http://www.coffeeforums.com/forum/c...wa-home-pro-roaster-future-home-roasting.html

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Yes I did Rose, but it was after seeing mention of it in this thread. Can you believe how crazy things have gotten with smart phone apps? I think I'm going to create blue tooth drawer glides and cabinet hinges with an app so folks won't have to exert themselves in opening a drawer or cupboard door. They can use voice activated features to open and close every door and drawer in their house...even their garage door. Hmmmm....

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
My good coffee Friend, Mr. Peaberry gave this Guatemalan Peaberry for me to taste yesterday.
Perfectly roasted by his own ingenious invention roaster and absolutely great flavors of high mountain of Huehuetenango, Guatemalan coffee.
thanks Doug.

IMG_20160618_063601.jpgIMG_20160618_063613.jpgIMG_20160618_063705.jpgIMG_20160618_064035.jpg

Last edited:

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Peaberry - I don't know how your cooling tray worked out.. when I was home roasting I took a 5 gallon bucket, colander and a cheap circular fan to make a pretty efficient cooling tray. The fan was a cheap round one like this:

Honeywell Turbo Force® Air Circulator Fan, Black, 9" | Staples®

I took the legs of the fan off and attached the fan to the 'top' part of a 5 gallon bucket. I had the fan blowing down into the bottom of the bucket... I then took a 1" hole drill bit and drilled a whole bunch of 1" holes in the bottom half of the 5 gallon bucket for the exhaust. I would place my fresh roasted coffee and put it in the colander, set it on top of the fan and turn on the fan. It would suck air through the coffee beans and then exhaust through the holes. Worked great... it was a bit redneck but I used it for years.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi Musicphan,

Cooling tray worked out fine (phine?). I too used 5 gallon buckets. The fan I used was purchased on Craiglist for $25.00. It is an in-line exhaust fan that is both quiet, and moves a high volume of air through the beans...4 cf/s...so it has worked well. Here are some shots. I took the junction box off the fan so that it would fit, and installed it, along with a toggle switch, on the outside of the bucket. I used a configuration for the cooling tray that Koffee Kosmo from Homeroasters.org posted a few years back. Here are some photos:

20160610_165253-1024x1820-450x800.jpg20160610_165338-1024x1820-450x800.jpg20160610_165353-1024x1820-450x800.jpg20160610_165322-1024x1820-450x800.jpg20160610_165303-1820x1024-800x450.jpg

The bottom bucket has the exhaust air cutouts at the top of the bucket so that I can fill the base with water for stability while in use. I will likely replace the base bucket with one where the cutouts are more professionally cut...perhaps using a hole saw. It just is not a priority for now.

Alex...thanks for posting the pictures of the 3rd burn. As I told you, I gave you most of the roast, given that you gave the beans to me in the first place! As you saw on my facebook, I used the siphon pot my brother-in-law gave me for my birthday to brew some of the 83g I kept. Here is a link to the Youtube video I posted, if anyone wants to see what a siphon pot does! Cheers!

Peaberry

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Nice... glad its working... mine was similar but probably a bit more basic. I watched your video... I think... you are supposed to slightly stir your wet grounds. Not 100% - John P is the master of siphon brewers.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
Hi
Alex...thanks for posting the pictures of the 3rd burn. As I told you, I gave you most of the roast, given that you gave the beans to me in the first place! As you saw on my facebook, I used the siphon pot my brother-in-law gave me for my birthday to brew some of the 83g I kept. Here is a link to the Youtube video I posted, if anyone wants to see what a siphon pot does! Cheers!

Peaberry

hello Doug.
Yep, My wife and I are enjoying the coffee that you gave me.
As you know, I am leaving to Guatemala this Thursday for one month with my son.
When I find some unique and great green beans during my stay, I will bring some for you to roast.
thanks for everything.