3000-4000 Machine

djdalamar

Apr 21, 2007
Visit site
I''m looking for a good machine in the 3-4 grand range for a small coffee shop. I know not everyone on here is a big fan of super auto''s but that would be preferred. it seems though that the full autos in that price range are not commercial grade.

If I go semi auto I would need to get a grinder included in that budget.

thanks everyone I love these forums!

Bean Tech

Jun 28, 2006
Orlando,FL
Visit site
You may want to consider a single group traditional espresso machine, A low priced one to consider is the laranzato. But for an auto machine take a look at the new jura x9s or the x7. The x9s has a single grinder with a decaf shoot and you can set up a milk cooler next to it that will allow it to auto froth milk($3000). The x7 has dual grinders and can be a one step or a two step auto machine($4000). There is also a later model called the x90 which is pretty much the same thing as the x9s and you can pick those up for 2500 - 2000 either new or new used. All of these machines can either be plumbed in or tank models and are commercial grade and very rarely break as long as the pm's are being done. Features include drink counters, descaling feature, brew group cleaning, grind and dosage adjustment and more. If you can spend a little more money I would stongly consider the x9 model which has dual grinders, capp and latte one step buttons, but only comes in 220. The franke flair is also very similiar to the jura x9 but comes in 120 or 220.

CafeBlue

Dec 8, 2006
Toronto
Visit site
djdalamar said:
... a good machine ... not everyone on here is a big fan of super auto''s but that would be preferred. ...it seems the full autos in that price range are not commercial grade.

If I go semi auto I would need to get a grinder included in that budget.

You answered many of your own questions. :)
While we all have different definitions of "good", I think you have a few viable options, depending on your particular needs.
Most people agree that "you get what you pay for". I will add that you are guaranteed to "pay for what you get", but may not receive full value for what you pay. All things comparable, the more features (e.g. super-automatic control, built-in grinder, auto-frother, custom paint, stainless steel) you get - generally the more you sacrifice on build quality, reliability and performance. Think about a fully-featured car with all the bells and whistles compared to a base-model sedan from another manufacturer with better build quality - they may retail for similar prices, but which one is BETTER FOR YOU?
Yes, I agree that the full-auto and super-automatics in that price range are not designed to be durable. full-time, full featured, full capacity commercial machines. I have some experience with several different super-automatics, and they are appropriate in some circumstances. the machines in your budget range are meant for occassional use, such as home and office environments. They can suffice for a small volume restaurant or a bartender's needs, but are un-likely suitable for a cafe that intends to establish a specialty coffee brand and a top quality beverage product. The super-autos are more difficult to program and adjust to changing coffee characteristics, but are easier to teach "how to operate" to un-skilled staff. The truly commercial grade new super-autos are 2-3 times your budget - you would need to pay more to get more (or shop for used/reconditioned).
If your shop is small volume now, you likely operate with one-three reliable employees (perhaps including yourself) that will prepare all the espresso based drinks. In this case, automation may be more gadgets than you really need. Get some good training on a good quality semi-auto with a decent doser-less espresso grinder and you can make some amazing beverages with a modicum of practice. Good quality commercial grade single or two-head espresso machines and a doserless grinder basic models begin in your price range. I hope you noticed, I said DOSERLESS grinder :) . The top quality machines are significantly more, offering better build quality, better preparation caliber and significantly greater production capacity. You may also find reconditioned used gear of that type that is (just) within your budget - much less than your budget is likely not worth paying for.
Ask your specialty coffee / espresso roaster for assistance. Consider finding a roaster that specializes in fresh roasted espresso.
Consider that local service support may be more important than absolute price or even the specific machine you choose. Source local service now, and ask for assistance. You may even find the roaster or service house has a good trade-in machine or re-furbished demonstrator unit available.

Before you decide, think about who will use the equipment, who and how will you have the staff trained, what quality does your customer expect/deserve, how many drinks do you expect to sell per hour (this year and third year), how much will these beverages retail for, and what brand/quality image do you wish to project?

djdalamar

Apr 21, 2007
Visit site
Really good points and things I defintlyhave considered. My biggest thing is I don't know how much I will be able to be on property so my main concern is consistency.

Honestly I've wondered on quality my primary target group is business men and college students. I expect to be making mainly lattes and caps can you really tell that big of a difference when the coffee is made that way? I mean between a semi and a auto not the bean quality.

Also on the grinder I had budgeted for a 200.00 grinder on in addition to the espresso machine for Decaf, drip etc. That sound about right?

edhagan

Jun 15, 2006
San Antonio, TX
Visit site
Espresso Machine

I used a semi-automatic espresso machine for 2 years and loved it. I now have it for sale if you are interested. It is an ECM Michelangelo Sorento 2 head. It has only one year of use becasue I had two of them and would alternate using each machine on alternate days. Info on the machines is located on http://www.burgessenterprises.net/2311- ... chines.htm.

I paid $9,500 and would take $4,000 for the espresso machine.

Ed
[email protected]