5lbs roaster manufactures

Jasonmck

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I'm in the early stages of research for a small to medium artisan coffee roasting business.
I'm attempting to get a list of reputable manufactures of light industrial roasters.
Any and all suggestions welcome. Like I said I'm just at a research phase of my project.

Thanks for you're help and Great site

Jason

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Why stay away fro Ozturk? I never have used one..just wondering what issues you had with them. From what I understand they are basically Ambex roasters. I love my Ambex. What kind of price range are you looking at?

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I had a few toper roasters. Had issues when replacing motors. I liked the 10 kilo and loved the 2 kilo..hated the 120kilo. Hated the size..too big. I still try and never roast on anything larger than a 60k.

Jasonmck

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I thought Ambex was bought out and since where having poor customer service? I'd love it if I where wrong

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I heard from Turkish coffee roaster Ozturk has bad name in Turkey for their poor workmanship. I have no back up data or any other people talking about them.
Also Ambex seem to have pretty good customer service.
They know their machines and they do give free advise on their machines.
I did have talk to them before and they were very professional and responsive.

coffeecrafters

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Hello All,

We are Coffee Crafters the manufacturer of the Artisan 6 Commercial Fluid Bed Coffee Roaster. I wanted to include some of the specs of the machine so that it is available. If there are any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are currently running a special that provides free shipping.

6 lb batches
Manual roaster with infinite control over roasting profile
Easy to install, maintain, and operate
Excellent Quality
Superior Customer Service
Worlds' most productive coffee roaster in it's class
Complete Roasting System $4847

The Artisan 6 is a Cacao (chocolate)Roaster as well

bigMoose

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know what is really going on with Ambex as of 6/2014? The true current status of the US side of the company.

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
Rather than relying on hearsay and broad brush statements -- CoffeeJunky says "I heard from Turkish coffee roaster Ozturk has bad name in Turkey for their poor workmanship" -- I can give you a first hand account.

I purchased my 10kg Ozturk in 2010 and have run thousands of roasts through it. I haven't had a moment's trouble with it. I has been very economical to run. And as The Lovely & Talented Roast Mistress continues to hone her skills the roasts just keep getting better and better. And if you doubt the Ozturk's ability to put out a great roast read the testimonial page on our website.

As I have said before, the Ozturk (to me) can be likened to a Ford or Chevy. You can buy a Rolls or a Mercedes or a Ferrari, and while the Ford or Chevy don't have all the bells and whistles those vastly more expensive cars do, they still get you from point A to point B very efficiently and in quite a bit of comfort.

Would I buy another? Definitely! Do your homework and talk to people who have actually used the roaster you want -- whatever brand it is.

If you want to know more about Ozturks, Dwayne at Adirondak Roasters in NY probably knows more than anyone in America about them. He roasts on them and he sells them and I bet he'd be happy to have you come by and use one for a day and see what you think, or maybe he can refer you to someone in your area so you can save the travel (just as the other manufacturers can probably do too). Give that a go, get hands on experience on the roaster(s) you want, and you won't have to rely on other's opinions and can decide for yourself. If you come to Ireland I'd be happy to let you see ours in action.

Last edited:

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
If you want to know more about Ozturks, Dwayne at Adirondak Roasters in NY probably knows more than anyone in America about them. He roasts on them and he sells them and I bet he'd be happy to have you come by and use one for a day and see what you think, or maybe he can refer you to someone in your area so you can save the travel (just as the other manufacturers can probably do too). Give that a go, get hands on experience on the roaster(s) you want, and you won't have to rely on other's opinions and can decide for yourself. If you come to Ireland I'd be happy to let you see ours in action.

I've met Dwayne, and e-mailed several times; he's a true gentleman.

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
As far as I know and am concerned the Ambex and Ozturks are brothers or perhaps sisters. Very similar in construction.
Having said that, the result is always in the cup! There are many roasters which roast fine coffee.
And this I know for sure, I enjoy my Ambex as much as Expat and The Lovely & Talented Roast Mistress enjoy
their Ozturk.