A Buyer's Guide to French Press Coffee Making

SandraH

Nov 19, 2016
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I have compiled a useful list of some of the best french press coffee makers, head on over to 5 Best French Press Coffee Makers - Make the Right Pick if you would like to learn more!

Additionally I would like to provide a few tips I have picked up in my time as a an experienced french presser! :coffee1:

These 3 French Press tips will help refine your brewing process. The french press is a simple device to operate, but a difficult one to master. We want to help you make the best possible cup of coffee, every time! Using these three french press tips will allow you to make a consistently delicious brew. Whether you are an experienced brew-master, or simply a beginner, there is always something to be learned.

1. Use A Coarse Grind

This is perhaps the most important tip you can receive as a french press user. If you’re not using a coarse grind, sediment will escape through the filter, and end up in your mug. Nobody wants to drink gritty coffee in the morning!
If you happen to stumble upon the perfect grind proportions, make sure to document it, and if your grind size is terrible, make note of that too. The next time that you use your french press, you can address the issue.

2. Weigh the Coffee

Another key to french press brewing is consistency, a kitchen scale is imperative in replicating a good batch of coffee. We use the Smart Weigh Pro in order to weigh our coffee in the morning, most importantly it has a “Tare” function, so you can subtract the weight of the glassware that your coffee will be measured in. This lets you get the precise amount of coffee you require.

3. Prepare the French Press With Hot Water

Before starting the brewing process, prime the french press with hot water. Fill the press about 1/3 of its capacity in hot water, and then press the plunger down a few times. This is hot water preparation process will allow the brew to reach the optimal temperature much quicker, which helps to establish a great tasting batch. Make sure to discard this water before beginning the brewing procedure.

Thanks for reading.

Happy brewing!
Sandra H :coffee:

LoveCoffeeLife

Jan 29, 2017
South Eastern USA
Visit site
This is great information. I used a French Press a few years ago exclusively but the brew was always such a hit and miss so I got weary and went back to brewing in a machine.

You mentioned a coarse grind. I've been told that the grind should be a bit bigger than coarse corn meal. Would you agree? Also is there a bean grinder that you find works best for FP brewing? I've read that the temp of the water has to be right as well. Is that true?

I know I full of questions. I just love a good cup! :coffee:

Thanks in advance.

SandraH

Nov 19, 2016
Visit site
This is great information. I used a French Press a few years ago exclusively but the brew was always such a hit and miss so I got weary and went back to brewing in a machine.

You mentioned a coarse grind. I've been told that the grind should be a bit bigger than coarse corn meal. Would you agree? Also is there a bean grinder that you find works best for FP brewing? I've read that the temp of the water has to be right as well. Is that true?

I know I full of questions. I just love a good cup! :coffee:

Thanks in advance.

No problem! I love to answer questions. In regards to the grind, I think that a bit bigger than coarse corn meal is definitely a good reference to operate off of. As for my favorite bean grinder, I'm actually in the process with experimenting with a few different ones, I will definitely post when I've narrowed down my favorite! When brewing in my french press, I usually get the water temperature to around 200 degrees Fahrenheit. Hope that helps!

Happy brewing!
Sandra :coffee:

LoveCoffeeLife

Jan 29, 2017
South Eastern USA
Visit site
Sounds good. Im interested to know what the outcome of your experiment will be. Right now I'm using a double blade grinder where the blades face up and down. Its good for what I do right now but I'm open to new things. Thanks again. :coffee: