a question

bluecoffee

Oct 6, 2004
Visit site
An idiot question! why is needed more coffee when I grind it to make a cup, that when I use ground coffee? I mean, I occupy two spoonfuls to make my coffee and if I grind it I occupy three to four spoonfuls already ground.
Please don´t hate me :(

fiagt2

Jan 12, 2005
Visit site
NW JAVA is correct.

Beans take up more volume than ground coffee(or rocks, etc).

Take a volume(liquid measure is ok) measure(1/2 cup as an example) of beans grind it and measure the volume of ground coffee.

The smaller particles pack closer together.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
french press hands down...do not own an electric drip machine...if I was to get one for the house it would have to be a commercial one...so I stick with my press

Chris Kay

Feb 1, 2005
Visit site
My preference is for a stove top.
Easily the closest thing youll get to an espresso in my opinion.
To get the best out of it you have to use alot of coffee. When im away and not near an espresso machine i just pack my espresso pot, plenty of coffee and im fine.

What i do is pack the coffee *ground espresso* really hard in the basket and then place it on the stove . when it begins to flow i watch it . the earlier you take it away and pur it into your cup the more body it has. i usually just wait till there is enough for an espresso and a milk coffee, (its an eight cup but i usually only wait for enough for 2 or 3 cups) The espresso is great and so is the latte.

Use the ristretto method. Only use the early part of the pour because thats the bit with all the flavour. 'Ristretto' in Italian means 'restricted' restricted to the best bit of the coffee flow.
If you take the early pour of an espresso away and then just allow the rest to pour elsewhere youll notice the longer the pour the lesser the quality.

I use the same technique for a long black from a coffee machine. Double hit coffee with clean water already in the cup 1/3 and i use only 2/3rds coffee to fill the cup.
What that does is it eliminates the 'dirty water' on the end of the pour and replaces it with nice clean water. (Less bitterness)

The problem with a plunger is that you get that film of coffee dregs on the bottom and too much volume water to coffee.

Its probably a preference thing but try it out.
If you have a coffee use the double pour over fresh hot water in the cup. The crema will be sensational the cup will be rich and no hint of bitterness.
Your customers will be back.

rcs1

Feb 10, 2005
Visit site
Stovetop vacuum pot. Hands down the single best way of making a brewed coffee other than espresso. But unfortunately it isn't that easy to clean up afterwards. Other methods that are good are the Melitta pourover cone (I lucked out and found a porcelain one in a thrift store), a Chemex, and my SwissGold one cup brewer. The SwissGold filters are amazing, as they really do allow a ton of flavor to come through into the cup. But they are also prone to blockage, because the pores are so fine. I use Melitta Flavor-pore filters much of the time. French press is a good method, but I'm not terribly partial to the large amount of sediment in the bottom of the cup.

C.