Advice for a New Coffee Roasting Business in S. California

KoffeCoffe

Dec 27, 2012
California
Visit site
Hello everyone,
I'm new to this forum, I have been putting together a business plan to start a coffee shop S. of California. but after doing some research online I found out that it's a bit complicated to have a coffee roasters business compare to a coffee shop because it requires to have its own permit, coffee shop will be the last stage of my business, it is just because I do want to control the quality of the coffee bean and we all know a good cup of coffee start from the bean and its roast. I have called S. Cost Air Quality Management District and the business development person told me is not difficult to obtain that permit which is only fill in a form, but then I asked here what other requirement I need and she told me that she didn't know. So I would like to ask here in the forum which i believe there are many coffee roasters what will be the steps to follow in order to start a coffee roasting business?
The person from Air Quality told me that I will require an afterburner for my roaster, my roaster is only a 6kg batch, using an afterburner will consume $$$$ in natural gas!
-I have the roasting skills.
-I have roaster from Taiwan waiting to be ship
-have the direct green coffee resource (harvesting)
-and the market is just out there!!!
-what else I need? the green light to start the business with all its permits.

I cant take the risk of importing the roaster and the beans if later I will have trouble with the law for not following the state law requirements.

I will appreciate any help!!!
Merry X'Mas!!

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Are you going to be strictly wholesale? Online? Retail? Farmer's Markets?
How does the competitive landscape look? How will you penetrate and gain clients?
Why are you going with such a small roaster?

S. Cali huh? Seems like an untapped market... best of luck :D

I apologize for the sarcasm ^ so cal and cal in general is fierce when it comes to reputable roasters