Advise Needed: Nuova Simonelli Appia II 2gr (volumetric) vs. Aurelia 2gr

espressimon

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys,

I am working on starting a coffee house in Mexico later this year and I am having difficulty deciding on which espresso machine to purchase.

I have narrowed down my choices to two models both from Nuova Simonelli - Appia II 2 gr (volumetric) vs Aurelia 2gr.
From price and design stand point, I am leaning towards Appia II 2gr but I wonder if there are any major differences in terms of the quality of espresso produced.

I understand that Aurelia is an older model than Appia II but I have read from many posts that Aurelia consistently brews good espresso whereas you need more control on Appia II to produce good espresso (whatever that means).

Would you please advise me on which model to purchase? If it is true that Aurelia is consistently superior in terms of the quality of espresso, I will most likely choose Aurelia over Appia II because quality is of my utmost concern.

Please explain in as much detail the differences between the two models and make recommendations on which you think would be best for my needs.

Thanks everyone in advance for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
The appia is the entry level no bells and whistles espresso machine. Appia replaced the Premier while the Aurelia replaced the Program line. They make both the Aurelia 2 and the Appia 2 so I'm assuming you found a lead for an older Aurelia and its why your asking. Honestly having a display on the Aurelia 2 and a few of the other features doesn't really make me want to go out and buy one anytime soon.

Honestly I think going with the Appia might just be a better buy. Save some money and buy a nice grinder or invest it somewhere else in your coffee shop!