Advise Please: Breville Oracle - Should I leave it on or turn it off ??

inattee

Jun 29, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
Hello everyone! :) Newbie to the forum, nice to be here!

I've had a Breville Oracle for many years. Love it! Recently I find I'm using it quite a bit throughout the morning. Maybe a 6 hour stretch where I'm making a coffee for either myself or someone else once every hour or so. I'm trying to figure out the best practice: Do I leave it on throughout this 6 hour stretch of time, or is it better to always turn off and turn on for just when I need to use it? What would create more wear on the machine over time?

Thanks! Natalie.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello Inattee,

How long does the machine take to warm up before you can brew coffee?

If you turn the machine off after each use, you'll only end up waiting for it to warm up each time you turn it back on, which may get on your nerves after a few days.

Since you wrote that you mainly make coffee during the morning hours, there's no harm in leaving it on. Just turn it off when you think you're done for the day.

~ Rose

inattee

Jun 29, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
Hello Inattee,

How long does the machine take to warm up before you can brew coffee?

If you turn the machine off after each use, you'll only end up waiting for it to warm up each time you turn it back on, which may get on your nerves after a few days.

Since you wrote that you mainly make coffee during the morning hours, there's no harm in leaving it on. Just turn it off when you think you're done for the day.

~ Rose

Thanks! Doesn't take long to warm up, 2-3 min. Mostly just trying to figure out what creates more wear on the machine, keeping the boilers constant and heated for long periods of time, or heating and cooling each time coffee is made.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Personally I would leave it on. Commercial machines I leave on. When I first got into coffee I was using a Gaggia Super ABC Deluxe. I believe it was a '78? My boss would fire people for turning the machine off over night. She said the switch goes bad super easily and it put less work on the boiler. That being said. About 15 years later a friend of mine had an espresso machine leak. They were on the second floor. The boiler cracked and just kept filling and filling. Flooded their shop and the one below. I personally leave them on. I have attached a picture of the gaggia...I hated all the brass/copper. It was my job to keep it sparkling. My co worker thought it was funny to leave 1 or 2 finger prints on it. I am so glad machines are mostly stainless now.
gaggia.jpg

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
There is a continuous debate on leaving one on/off. I never leave mine on for more than maybe 2 hrs. I'm sure over time electrical components take a beating from sustained heat. Of course is no right/wrong way and surely no real proof either way is better. I'd say just do whatever suits your use and stick with it.