Advise Please: My (old) Moka Pot - Should I keep using it or buy a new one??

mokiato

Feb 9, 2019
Visit site
hello, I'm new here. great to have found this website. I wanted to consult the moka express experts among you.
I have my moka for some years now, I guess I haven't maintained it properly, and haven't used it in a while, I found it quite stained and decided to clean it with baking soda and water.
can you please tell me if it is still ok to use it? or should I throw it? many stains didn't come off, and I am worried for my health if I will be drinking it like this.
obviously, it will be recommended to switch the filter, but it is the other parts I am more worried about.

Photo 09-02-2019, 14 25 50.jpgPhoto 09-02-2019, 14 26 12.jpgPhoto 09-02-2019, 14 26 33.jpgPhoto 09-02-2019, 14 26 56.jpg

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello mokiato,

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website.

After looking at your photos, I'm thinking that instead of worrying about whether or not it is safe to use your old Moka Pot, maybe you should just toss it and buy a new one. You'll probably need to replace the valve gasket anyway, and sometimes those parts are hard to find . . . so you may as well start fresh with a new one.

If you were to continue making coffee in your old Moka Pot, you probably wouldn't enjoy the coffee very much, because you'll always be wondering if it's safe to use the old pot or not.

~ Rose

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Gaskets are easy to replace...search amazon super cheap. I personally would toss it and buy a Bialetti. They are made of stainless steel instead of aluminum. My wife bought me a stove top espresso maker. I will post a picture when I get home. I used it twice...it was NYE. The first time it worked great. Then we had few drinks and we made another. I forgot to release the pressure before pulling the portafilter and boom. We were finding espresso grinds for months.

mokiato

Feb 9, 2019
Visit site
Since it's made of aluminum which in theory not good for your heath, it's better to keep it oxidized/stained. Because the oxidized layer could function as a barrier between aluminum and your coffee. But since you just exposed fresh aluminum by deep cleaning, just boil a couple cups of water to season it. Yes, you need to replace the gasket from time to time. Good luck!

Thanks, I will replace the gasket for now.

Hello mokiato,

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website.

After looking at your photos, I'm thinking that instead of worrying about whether or not it is safe to use your old Moka Pot, maybe you should just toss it and buy a new one. You'll probably need to replace the valve gasket anyway, and sometimes those parts are hard to find . . . so you may as well start fresh with a new one.

If you were to continue making coffee in your old Moka Pot, you probably wouldn't enjoy the coffee very much, because you'll always be wondering if it's safe to use the old pot or not.

~ Rose

I currently don't have money for a new one.
after drinking a few cups it tastes fine and I don't think there is much reason for worrying.
and if I buy a new one I guess it will be stainless, even thoguh I like how it looks much less.