Aerobie Aeropress

cuppED

May 15, 2005
Visit site
All I can say is WOW! I just purchased the Aerobie Aeropress and I must say, it truly is the best tasting coffee I've EVER had. I was debating on whether or not I should get a French Press (FP) or AeroPress (AP) and personally for me, I think I made the right choice. I did a lot of research on it and it had nothing but great reviews, reviews that I now agree with. The packaging and even the apparatus looks like a 5th grade science fair project but it really gets the job done. The big debate with the AP vs the FP is if whether or not the AP makes espresso with crema, and on my first trial, I actually got a lot of crema. Some get crema, some don't, I guess it's all in the technique. Cleanup was a breeze, just eject the "puck" and run the chamber under water, you're done.
The only thing I regret is making it at 11pm, hahaha, I'm gonna be wide awake now!

Here's a clip...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9siQ2y_sM9E

Pros
Great tasting coffee, smooth, rich and not bitter
Sediment Free (a big reason why I went with an AP rather than the FP)
Cleanup is fast and easy
Affordable, $30

Cons
Nothing I can think of at the moment but if I come up with one, I'll be sure to post it.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "cuppED"

Thanks for the review of your new Aerobie Aeropress. It's always great to hear when someone is really pleased with his (or her) purchase.

Now I'm curious.

What kind of coffee did you use when you tried it? How was it ground?

I hope you'll continue to enjoy your Aeropress coffee just as much as you did the first time.

Rose

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
I second that, thanks for the review and video.

I would imagine that you could grind finer than for a FP because there's a filter in the AP.

Seems like an easier clean up than the wire screen filter of a FP too. Just pop the puck and rinse. It's like a syringe.

But, I wonder how the coffee tastes compared to using a FP.... there seems to be no "steep" time. Just stir for ten seconds, while the coffee is already running through the filter, then plunge (press). The video shows a decent amount of crema.

How is a $5000 espresso machine any better than this $30 method???

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello again,

This weekend I was reading the November/December issue of "Cook's Illustrated" magazine, and I noticed that on page 32 of their Equipment Corner section, they have a review of new products that are on the market.

The review that caught my eye was the about Handheld Expresso Makers. They compared the Aerobie Aeropress Coffee and Espresso Maker ($29.95) with the Handpresso Wild Portable Espresso Maker($149.99)

The tasters described the brew made from the Handpresso as having a muddy and bitter finish. However, they liked the Aeropress. They say, "The lightweight plastic Aeropress did better (than the Handpresso) Using freshly ground beans, it produced smooth espresso that, according to tasters, combined the slightly heavier body of French Press coffee and the cleanliness of drip coffee. With good reason--the Aeropress mimics the technology of both."

It looks like there is more to the Aeropress than we thought! It may be worth checking out.

Rose

cuppED

May 15, 2005
Visit site
PinkRose,
I just went to CharBucks and got their Pikes Peak blend and ground the beans to an espresso grind (Not a big fan of starbucks, not that they're terrible, but just not a fan; but I was excited to use my AeroPress and so I quickly went there to get some ground up beans to try it out).
I've been using my Aeropress a lot lately and I really haven't had a bad cup of joe yet. I'm really pleased with this purchase and I hope it gets more recognition soon. Good to hear that its in a magazine review!

cuppED

May 15, 2005
Visit site
Jlyon10,
Can't wait for you to get it, hope it turns out well just as it did for me. I'm actually enjoying a cup of brew from my aeropress as I write this post, hahaha. Definitely let us know what you think!

JohnB

May 30, 2008
Connecticut
Visit site
My AP is gathering dust in the cupboard as I found I much prefer real espresso/americanos & french press/finum brew to what I get from the AP. It is handy on a trip but brewing right in a travel mug with a Finum filter is much easier so why bother? The only "advantage" is the paper filter removing that little bit of sludge from the bottom of the cup which isn't an issue for me. The down side is that the filter also removes some of the oils which give the coffee flavor.

jlyon10

Super Moderator
Feb 16, 2007
Clemmons, NC
Visit site
I got my AeroPress and I just love it. I took it camping and it worked great. I think the way it cleans up is so cool, just pop the puck in the trash. I do have trouble finding out what temperature my water is at.

cuppED

May 15, 2005
Visit site
Glad you liked it. As far as the temp of the water, I have trouble finding that too since I don't have a thermometer, but after experimentation, I simply heat up my water right before it starts to boil, then I wait about a minute or so and pour it in the coffee grinds.

SlowRain

I'll definitely give a thumbs-up to the AeroPress. I've been using it for almost two years now. It makes very good coffee, lattes, and iced coffee. It's inexpensive, easy to clean, and allows the user to tailor the cup exactly to his or her tastes.

CoffeeDetective

Jul 10, 2006
Montreal
Visit site
Me too.

I have two coffee makers and an espresso machine in the basement, and my Aeropress in the kitchen.

Not only do I think it makes better coffee and espresso shots than my more expensive machines, but I also get a perverse pleasure from making such great coffee with something that looks like a glorified syringe.

I love that about coffee making. You pay the big bucks for more convenience, and not for better coffee.

CCCRoaster

We really like the AeroPress I sell a bunch of them in our shop our customers love them. The one thing I would like is a reusable filter for it. I actually do rise and reuse the paper filter a few times. The coffee tastes better after you "season" the filter once or twice.