Aged Sumatra

ElPugDiablo

Hi Alun, I believe it's from the 2004 crop and is table-dried Lintong. Other than Sumatran can aged well, I know very little about it. Perhaps a bit of education about the process, style from different regions and farmers/co-ops and what to look for, plus what to look out for. Thanks.

Hey EPD. Table-top drying of green in Indonesia is still not that common. Some of the Acehnese coops such as Gayo Mt and Gayoland use raised tables for drying, but generally most of the coffee out of Sumatra is dry processed on concrete drying pads like huge tennis courts. The Lintong-Sidikalang-Mandehling origins cover a pretty sizeable chunk of North-West Sumatra, through the Barisan Mountains which run through the back bone of Sumatra. There are literally thousands of small holders in this area but most chose to sell their parchment to brokersrather than proces and finish the coffee themselves- which is one ofthe real shames about Indonesian coffee at present.

I would try roasting just past the second crack- there are some very nice floral and currant tones you can bring out is the lintongs. Generally with aged Lintongs the earthiness is lessened by aging, replaced by a slight grassiness (like fresh cut grass) which can be pleasant (or not) depending on wat yo ar loking for in the cup.

ElPugDiablo

Thanks, Alun. If the grassiness is like a nice sauvignon blanc than I would love it. Few more questions. Do you find the floral and currant tones come out better with a faster roast or slower roast? What about initial temperature? I am assuming Aged Sumatra has less moisture therefore need lower flame and lower charging temperature for the drying stage.

The Sav Blanc comparrision is exactly what I mean re "freshly cut grass", well picked up! Being a Kiwi I am a big fan of Sav Blancs. MArlborough, top of the south islnd, is pretty much the global epicenter of SB's these days. Well worth a visit if you are over that way (13 hours from Western Seaboard to Auckland, jump on a domestic flight to Wellington- take a leisurely ferry ride accross Cook Strait and you are there!!). Re roast temperature, drop temperature- will PM you,

ElPugDiablo

Got your PM. Thanks for your help. Didn't know NZ is a big Sauvignon Blanc producing country. In the US we get a fair amount of Aussie wines, but don't recall seeing much from NZ. A friend stayed in NZ for awhile and thought its overall coffee quality is probably the highest in the world. He showed me how to make a flat white which I prefer over cappuccino.

Hey EPD. Yes we invented flat whites (although the Aussies will dispute that!). The coffee in NZ is very good. We have a lot of quality boutique roasters and one of the highest per capita ratios of cafes to people in Wellington. Make a trip down there sometime, we are looking for more people to move there as we have 4,000,000 scattered around the north and south islands