Amazing Evolution of Espresso Machine!!!

coffeetology girl

Jun 12, 2006
Manila
Visit site
Dear Coffeholics:

Just want to share something I learned while researching for a coffee article. I was amazed to find out that the espresso machine is a successor of percolator which really produces bad tasting coffee. It was surprising to learn how a brewing machine the produces flat, bitter and really "awful" coffee can be a forefather of an espresso machine that produces flavorful and aromatic cup of coffee with "creama" on top!

What even made me excited is that when I surf the internet for espresso machines, I found out that they are evolving really fast. Aside from the usual piston style and pump style machines, the automatic espresso machines are fastly entering in the household market with lots of cool features such automatic timer (that allows the user to set the time when he/she want the machine to brew a cup of coffee), dual processor (which allows the user to brew coffee and frothe milk at the same time), volume control (which allows the user to minimize the sound created by the machine while brewing) and many more.

Exciting isn't it?
:-D

coffeetology girl

Jun 12, 2006
Manila
Visit site
Nothing, just espresso machines in general. Because for me, they are the most efficient among the brewing devices. Amazing right?

I'll love to share things like this every now and then if you won't mind. I am also doing research of the other coffee brewers. :)

coffeetology girl

Jun 12, 2006
Manila
Visit site
What's WOM?

I used to work for a multinational company as promotions manager for 3 skin brands before. However, since we are planning to get marriage next year, I recently resigned and my boyfriend and I decided to put-up an internet cafe with a coffee kiosk. Now I spend most of the time in the cafe manning the internet shop and doing articles for our websites.

I am actually looking for additional income to help cover the wedding expenses. Maybe you pm can contact me if you have suggestions or something :)

Davec

Oct 18, 2006
Old England (UK)
Visit site
coffeetology girl said:
volume control (which allows the user to minimize the sound created by the machine while brewing) and many more.

Exciting isn't it?
:-D

Well I suppose so, but the volume control bit is baffling to me :? I know people who would give their eye teeth to have an espresso machine they could make quieter by turning down a volume control.

coffeetology girl

Jun 12, 2006
Manila
Visit site
It is true, machine bec. the machine is kinna small --- Nespresso D300 Automatic Espresso Machine.

It has programmable electronic volume control (espresso/lungo) as per the makers.

I was amazed as well so I included it in my website's top 10 espresso maker list. I am thinking of buying one as soon as we have recovered from the expenses our newly opened internet/coffee shop :)

Davec

Oct 18, 2006
Old England (UK)
Visit site
coffeetology girl said:
It is true, machine bec. the machine is kinna small --- Nespresso D300 Automatic Espresso Machine.

It has programmable electronic volume control (espresso/lungo) as per the makers.

I think this is a language barrier thing. By volume I thought you meant quieter...well you did....but the manufacturer means adjustable dose, as in volume of Coffee :lol:

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Volume control = espresso dosing. You can't just magically turn up or down how loud your espresso machine can be. Sound control requires makers to insulate and to make better precision parts that produce less noise while running.

Not to get all high tech but it is possible to cancel out sound waves. But I highly doubt this technology would ever be found in a low end device.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_noise_control

coffeetology girl

Jun 12, 2006
Manila
Visit site
I'm not techie as well; actually I rarely understand the explanation regarding sound wave on the wikipedia link you posted.

However, I ask my fiance who took up bs math and computer something something which I cannot really relate to :-D ) to explain the concept of sound wave in layman's term and in more visual manner. He said that a sound wave produces a sine graph (you know the up, down, up, down continuous curve we learned in trigonometry?). To cancel it out, you simply have to produce a counter sound wave that has a counter sine graph (down,up,down,up,down,up) of the same magnitude or height. I think it is hard to produce a precise counter sound wave so instead of being canceled out; the sound is just diminished.

Now, I think that we really need advance technology to diminish sounds from radios since the sounds they produce have sine patterns with different magnitude (or height) at irregular intervals (or width) making it hard to predict what counter sound wave to provide. However, since an espresso machine only produces one loud sound, I was thinking that the sine pattern that it produces have only one magnitude and one interval. Hence the manufacturers can just put a certain device that will produce a counter sound wave with a counter sine pattern to diminish the sound from the espresso machine.

I'm just speculating though. But What do you think? It is exiting if I am right; imagine, anyone can have a cup of espresso that will not bother sleeping house mates during long work nights :)

coffeetology girl

Jun 12, 2006
Manila
Visit site
Though I realized from future reading that the espresso manufacturer indeed was talking about the espresso dosing.

But what if espresso manufactures find something useful from my sound wave, sine graph speculations? Kinna cool ha?

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
The thing that got me riled up was the top 10 coffee websites only had 6 websites and all of them were retailers. When I think coffee websites I tend to lean toward www.coffeeforums.com, www.coffeegeek.com, and www.scaa.org. I might include www.sweetmarias.com because they try to give you a lot of content besides pushing the obvious which they do plenty of that.

I'm assuming your top 10 coffee makers are your opinion only, have you ever used any of them. The same goes for rest of your Top 10.

Further more Starbucks is not the top 10 coffee beans. You should stop by the coffee review http://www.coffeereview.com/allreviews.cfm and read up on what Ken Davids and the rest of the crew think about different companies and their roasting skills. If I had 1/2 the knowledge that man possess I would probably go nuts.

I wasn't going to pick on your website because mine sucks. I'm to lazy and my boss is too cheap! But misinformation is why people get led astray and find it hard to come back to the truth.