Are pregnant women really not allowed to drink coffee? WHY??

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
Lady goes to the doctor and asks, "I am thinking about getting pregnant and so I thought I would come for a checkup first."
DOCTOR: Good idea. Let's have a lookee see.
[After checkup then states] I want you to wait before conceiving. Give up coffee for two months, then come back and see me.
LADY: Two months? Really.
DOCTOR: Yes.
[two very long months pass]
LADY: OK Doctor. I have not had a drink of coffee in two months.
DOCTOR: Not a drop?
LADY: Nothing.
DOCTOR: OK then. Go ahead and conceive.
LADY: Are you sure? You're not even going to give me another checkup to make sure?
DOCTOR: That won't be necessary.
LADY: So what did stopping drinking coffee for TWO FREAKIN' MONTHS have to do with it!?
DOCTOR: I just wanted to make sure you really wanted to have kids.

CoffeeHD

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
After some new studies last year, the consensus is that under 200 mg. per day isn't going to harm a baby. If you drink over that, you can seriously increase your risk of a miscarriage.

JavitaCoffee

Banned
May 3, 2011
Visit site
I agree, decaf is not a sin. If someone is a real coffee addict, it is the flavor that keeps 'em coming back.
I was drinking coffee all day long a while back and I realized that I was addicted to the caffeine, the problem was that I loved my coffee
but I don't like anything to have that much power over me. I got the addiction under control. I let myself go through
detox, cold turkey. It was painful. Then someone told me just drink decaf and the light went off in head that what I truly loved
about the coffee was the taste and the experience of drinking a hot cup, slowly sipping it and so forth.

Oh yeah, check out: Javita.ws

CJA

Sep 20, 2011
Washington D.C.
Visit site
Mariahn -- I suspect you're right...common sense seems to suggest the baby would end up absorbing the caffeine from the mother. Better safe than sorry, I'd think...

Chris

Reggy777

Mar 12, 2019
Visit site
I am pregnant and I love coffee, really LOVE, but I'm confused - is it right to drink coffee during pregnancy period? In the mornings... I love to hug my pregnancy pillow... and hold the cup of my favorite coffee...

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I am pregnant and I love coffee, really LOVE, but I'm confused - is it right to drink coffee during pregnancy period? In the mornings... I love to hug my pregnancy pillow... and hold the cup of my favorite coffee...

You really should talk to your doctor about that.

But, if you really-really want to drink coffee, in spite of the risks to your unborn child, then switch to decaf. You'll still get a little bit of caffeine, along with the comfort that holding a mug of coffee provides you. And . . . you won't need to constantly wonder if you're harming the baby.

There's too many other (more important) things to stress over when you're pregnant.

bigMoose

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Time for a joke... a little levity ... I'm an ol' guy... I roast... I started getting some heart arrhythmias. I went to my cardiologist. He asked how much coffee I drink a day. I said ... about 9. He said cups? I said, no Yetti tumblers. He laughed... I said "Please don't say none!" He replied with, you get one 12 oz regular and one 12 oz decaf a day. Drink more water. That will be $250. ...Priceless!

Last edited:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Time for a joke... a little levity ... I'm an ol' guy... I roast... I started getting some heart arrhythmias. I went to my cardiologist. He asked how much coffee I drink a day. I said ... about 9. He said cups? I said, no Yetti tumblers. He laughed... I said "Please don't say none!" He replied with, you get one 12 oz regular and one 12 oz decaf a day. Drink more water. That will be $250. ...Priceless!

Wow! Is that a true story?

If so, are you actually sticking to the plan? (12 oz. regular and 12 oz. decaf?).

bigMoose

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
It is a true story! I sure got carried away. A little more today than yesterday... rinse and repeat that a few times and you get up there. Keep going for a while and the body finally rebels. I learned my lesson. :coffee: ... moderation! I won't go into the day we were perfecting roasts, cupping all day, and my partner got a new espresso machine. :grin: we were jumpin' for a while :decaf:

SnowBall

Jun 6, 2019
Visit site
When I was pregnant, I caught myself multiple time craving for coffee. Did I give in? Handful times when my cravings were so strong. But my partner always shared the coffee with me. This article suggests that you can take at most 300 milligrams of coffee when you are pregnant. After I gave birth, I went back to drinking coffee but in super moderation since I am breastfeeding. Every time I overdid it, my baby would be super duper hyper and won't go to nap. Every cup of coffee I drink, I drink 2 to 3x more water.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
When I was pregnant, I caught myself multiple time craving for coffee. Did I give in? Handful times when my cravings were so strong. But my partner always shared the coffee with me. This article suggests that you can take at most 300 milligrams of coffee when you are pregnant. After I gave birth, I went back to drinking coffee but in super moderation since I am breastfeeding. Every time I overdid it, my baby would be super duper hyper and won't go to nap. Every cup of coffee I drink, I drink 2 to 3x more water.

When I craved coffee when I expecting my first child, I found a way to solve my coffee craving problem. I ate coffee ice cream. I got the coffee taste without getting a lot of caffeine, and I had the added benefit of getting some extra calcium at the same.

kanewillimson

Apr 25, 2020
Visit site
Summary Caffeine may boost energy levels, improve focus and help relieve headaches. However, it may pose risks when consumed in high amounts during pregnancy, such as an increased risk of miscarriage and low birth weight.Nov