Are we really this dumb and it's just user error?

alixehrhardt

Jun 10, 2004
Visit site
I'm not that familiar with espresso machines (my husband has usually made the espresso) but we have tried two different machines (around $200 machines, the last one was a DeLonghi). Every time we try to make an espresso shot, the thing clogs up and basically overflows the grounds and water all over the place. Or, it does hardly anything and just barely drips out water. :oops:

At first, we thought we were just packing it too tightly, so we tried the espresso pods that came with our machine. SAME PROBLEM! Then we thought it was the machine, thus the purchase of a second machine -- a pump this time.

What in the world are we doing wrong? Any suggestions of what we can try to better determine what the problem is? Thanks so much! :grin:

pillguy

Jun 17, 2004
Houston, TX
Visit site
Every machine is different. I had a Delonghi Espresso, and it took me quite a while to get things just right. Let's start with the coffee grounds. What are you using? Preground?, whole bean? If bean, what grinder do you have?

Is you espresso machine one that requires a rubber cap of sorts that tops the coffee in the portafilter?