Aroma

company_man

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
I am an old fashioned coffee drinker. When all coffee was made with a percolator the aroma of the coffee filled the kitchen in the morning. Sometimes the aroma would come into your bedroom to let you know that breakfast was waiting in the kitchen. I have stopped using my drip coffee maker and purchased an old but prestine percolator in order to get this aroma affect again. The problem is: I can't find a coffee that will fill up the kitchen with it's aroma. I have tried several coffees and several strength settings on my percolator but I am still not getting the affect that I am looking for. Any suggestions?

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
The aromas of coffee is largely affected by the freshness of the coffee being brewed. I have been using freshly ground coffee that I purchase from a local roaster. Also, some coffees, I grind myself, which is that much better. Friends and customers often comment on the great coffee aromas, delivered by my simple drip brewers here.

Welcome to Coffee forums company_man. :D

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi Company_Man,

I've noticed that when I'm the one downstairs making the coffee, I don't smell the aroma as much as when someone else is downstairs making it (and I'm the one upstairs being awakened by the aroma of freshly brewed coffee). Maybe you're too close to it....maybe your sense of smell has gotten used to it and it's not as delightful as you remember it being in the past.

When I'm working in the cafe, people come in and remark at how great the coffee aroma is. They say "Wow, it smells nice in here!" I have to admit that when I'm working, I can't smell the coffee aroma unless I walk outside in the fresh air for a while and then come back into the cafe. Friends who work in chocolate stores tell me the same thing.... They can't smell the chocolate after a while.

Freshly ground coffee does fill the kitchen with coffee aroma...that's for sure.
This morning, I was at home adjusting the grind setting on my old-fashioned manual coffee grinder. I was grinding some Kona beans. When I ground them on a coarse setting for French press coffee, I didn't smell the fresh ground coffee aroma as much as I did when I changed the setting to a very fine grind. There was a distinct difference between the two settings. I wonder if anyone else has noticed that, or is it just me?

Of course, after a while, I wasn't able to smell the coffee aroma anymore. However, I had to go out to get my car washed and run some errands, and when I walked through the door about two hours later, I smelled the coffee aroma right away. I instantly wanted a cup of coffee.

I hope you discover a way to recapture the coffee aroma that you crave.

Rose

This may sund odd, but also weather conditions can effect the spread of aroma from coffee that is being ground (or brewed). Generally cooler, dryer conditions outside mean the aroma effectively can be carried over a larger area. In Hot (90 degree f+) and humid conditions, aroma is stiffled.

I have no proof that this is fact, however for my own experiments in Indonesia and NZ (with the same beans and equiptment) seem to point in this directon.

company_man

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the input Caffe, Rose, and Alun. I will check out your suggestions/observations and let ya'll know what happens...Company_man (Tim)

C

coffeeloverlisa

Welcome company_man, I am pretty new around here too.

Nothing makes me happier than the aroma of a fresh pot of coffee in the morning or afternoon. The other, more experienced coffee mavens may be able to explain the science here, but I think our old coffee percolators steamed the living daylights out of the Maxwellhouse grounds. Maybe too much? That's why the aroma made it up to the bedrooms on the second floor.

Just a whacko theory.

company_man

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
Hi Lisa: You could be right. So far I have tried some of the modern beans on the market without success. I will try some of the classic old brands. Has anyone tried the Kopi Luwack-Civet coffee yet? I have some in transit to me from Indonesia.

C

coffeeloverlisa

I just had some after coffeefest in Chicago and I have to say it was not such a big deal after the hype. I brought some home to my work partner and he was blown away about the story. He said he was going to keep the 2.5 ounce package forever and hand it down to his children!!

It did have a nice fruity tone like berries but it was a bit bitter, which I suspect was more of a freshness issue than anything else.

All hype no sex. Give me my Kona.

That's what I say.

L

C

coffeeloverlisa

I have a special coffee on the way from Panama... green Carmen Estate. Let's trade rare reviews OK?