Ascado Dream overheating until it trips

StrongBelwas

Jun 9, 2022
Seattle
Visit site
I recently got a wonderful Ascaso Dream (2016 model according to my father in law but he says he's not positive of that it may be older). I love it but since day one it has a problem with overheating and tripping the overheating switch and making me take the top off to reset it. I start steaming the milk just before the temp gets to 257 and it either BARELY gets the milk to 140 f before tripping, or gets the milk only to around 120 f before the temp reaches 302 and it trips. Lately I've been turning off thd power and steam switches as it approaches 302 but it often keeps heating AFTER I turn them off and trups nonetheless. My Dream is turning into a nightmare that delivers lukewarm lattes and makes me take it apart and reset it at least every other time I use it. I took it in to a local espresso repair company that is qualified to work on Ascaso machines twice. The first time was about 6 months ago. I was told it was user error and it just needed to be cleaned. To be fair it does work differently than my Gaggia and did need to be cleaned, (I could have done this but figured he would really deep clean it since it was expensive. I don'tthink he did though) but it cost me $125 and didn't fix the problem. I took it back and told the owner this and he diagnosed it as a bad steam switch and replaced it for $150. Right now my "free" espresso machine has almost cost me $300 and it still overheats and trips. It's like there is no heat regulation on it. Like once I hig the steam switch it keeps heating until it trips instead of trying to maintain temp around 257 f. Is this the case? Is this just how the old Dreams "work?" Or have I just been taking it to someone who doesn't know what he's doing? Please help because my "Dream" is making me want to pull my hair out!