Australia's Real Marshmallows

tlhamzy

May 30, 2004
Visit site
Dear Australian members, can you clue me in as to where I would get those real marshmallows you use down there in the coffee houses? It's not a fake air filled, chemical filled marshmallow, but "real" .... they use it on hot chocolates....if you know what I mean, please point me to a source...they are just devastatingly delicious! :)

coffee_beanz

May 6, 2005
Souther U.S.A.
Visit site
Don't know about Aussie-mallows, but here is a recipe you can try. These should be a lot better than the store-bought airpuffed variety - this is from Epicurious.com:

MARSHMALLOWS

1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
1 1/2 cups cornstarch
2 packages gelatin
4 cups sugar divided into 3 2/3 cups and 1/3 cup
1/2 cup light corn syrup
8 egg whites, at room temperature
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract, or a few drops of orange flower or rose water
1 drop food coloring (optional)
In bowl, whisk confectioner's sugar and cornstarch together. With a sieve, generously dust a jelly roll pan.

In a small heat-proof bowl, stir the gelatin into 1/2 cup water and let it soften 1 minute. Melt it over a low heat.

In a fairly deep pot, combine 3 2/3 cups sugar and the corn syrup with 1 cup water. Bring the mixture to a boil. Heat the syrup to 266°F.

In a 6-quart bowl, whip egg whites until frothy and add cream of tartar. Continue beating until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1/3 cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. When the syrup reaches 266°F, add the gelatin to the syrup. Slowly pour hot syrup over the egg whites in a slow, steady stream. Add flavoring or coloring if you are using it.

With a spatula, spread mixture on prepared sheet pan and smooth top. Dust surface with some of remaining confectioner's sugar mixture. Let the meringue cool completely, for a few hours.

Using a chef's knife dipped in warm water (and wiped clean with a damp cloth between slices) cut marshmallows lengthwise into 1-inch strips. Cut across to make cubes. Work one section at a time and toss the cubes immediately in confectioner's sugar mixture. Shake marshmallow cubes in flat sieve to remove excess powder. To store, wrap finished marshmallows in plastic to avoid forming a crust skin.

Makes 100 or more marshmallows.