Authentic Civet Cat (Kopi Luwak) coffee vendors

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Regardless of what anyone tells you, the price of everything is due to supply and demand. That, in and of itself, is no sin. It is up to each of us to decide if that price is worth it to us. I tasted some Kopi Luwak and while I could taste a difference, the difference wasn't enough for me to pay the price. If I could get it at a reasonable price, or a dollar or two more, I might drink it more often.
Of course supply/demand influences the cost of most things in life, but there's also a sucker born every minute that will throw insane amounts of money at items thinking more must equal better. For say $200 per pound of Kopi LuCrap I can buy 20-25 lbs of quality green that once roasted will blow that 'crap' out of the water. Same goes for Kona, Jamaican Blue, etc. as there are literally tons of fantastic coffees that will dominate those overrated offerings far cheaper.

JeffD

Jan 27, 2022
Upstate New York
Visit site
So you mean that everyone who is purchasing Kopi Luwak at these prices (and many must be because the prices stay pretty high) that everyone is a sucker? That not one of them genuinely tastes a difference and has determined that that difference is worth the price? I don't buy it. At all. Yes there are suckers, but you can't fool lots of people all the time. I know there are many who are more discerning than me, and that doesn't mean they are suckers or full of potatoes. It just means they are more discerning, and value the difference more.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Kopi Lucrap is priced insanely high due to the process involved, plain and simple. Would you follow an animal, dig through crap for minimum wage? If I want earthy, mellow, etc. notes I'll gladly take a wet hulled Indonesian any day and save $190 per pound!

JeffD

Jan 27, 2022
Upstate New York
Visit site
Kopi Lucrap is priced insanely high due to the process involved, plain and simple.
That is not how business works. A business has no foreknowledge or guarantee that their expenses (labor, equipment etc.) are going to be covered by their price. They set a price based hopefulness and faith, and see if people buy it. If people are willing to buy it at a price that recovers the costs of the seller, that seller will stay in business. If not, not.

I am not saying that Kopi Luwak is not not more expensive to produce. Probably a good assumption, but I have no knowledge. A company can start out with a price that will cover their costs and pay their salaries, but if nobody wants it at that price, they have to figure out a way to reduce costs to make money at a lower price.

The truth seems to be that Kopi Luwak is insanely expensive because a lot of people are willing to pay that much for it. If that were not the case, the companies would go out of business as soon as their initial capitalization is burned through.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
That is not how business works. A business has no foreknowledge or guarantee that their expenses (labor, equipment etc.) are going to be covered by their price. They set a price based hopefulness and faith, and see if people buy it. If people are willing to buy it at a price that recovers the costs of the seller, that seller will stay in business. If not, not.

I am not saying that Kopi Luwak is not not more expensive to produce. Probably a good assumption, but I have no knowledge. A company can start out with a price that will cover their costs and pay their salaries, but if nobody wants it at that price, they have to figure out a way to reduce costs to make money at a lower price.

The truth seems to be that Kopi Luwak is insanely expensive because a lot of people are willing to pay that much for it. If that were not the case, the companies would go out of business as soon as their initial capitalization is burned through.
Same applies for Kona, Jamaican Blue, etc. Paying for the notoriety, supply/demand and clearly labor with Kona. In the cup definitely falls short for the price range. Of course people will pay more thinking something might be better, but placebo usually doesn't match common sense.

Look at the latest craze with geisha (don't care for proper spelling), anaerobic process, etc. Of course some hipsters will try reinventing the wheel and charge out the ying yang for it. I do find it hilarious that many enthusiasts that fall for this sort of 'modern' spin usually up disappointed and a bit more cash strapped.