BANNED COFFEE - The WORLD'S STRONGEST COFFEE

SpeedyGal

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Thks for ur info SpeedyGal :coffee:

My pleasure. I have since tried both coffees. The deathwish coffee to me tastes weird. I don't know how to explain it other than its a sort of hallow or cardboard'ish taste. That probably doesn't make sense. The coffee is strong though. I don't know that it 'feels' any stronger than 'Banned Coffee' though. But both are way stronger than normal coffee.

To me, Banned Coffee tastes a lot better. It has a nicer/funnier packaging and gets way more laughs when people come over.
Deathwish has a scarier looking package. That also strikes up conversation. Drinking something with crossbones on it is interesting. It smells strong, but not good.

If my friends or family wanted a really strong coffee that actually tastes and smells good, I would definitely pick Banned Coffee over Deathwish, without a doubt.

If anybody is curious about either, here is where I bought them:

Banned Coffee: http://www.amazon.com/Banned-Coffee-Strongest-Caffeine-Content/dp/B0192RC15I
DeathWish Coffee: http://www.amazon.com/Death-Wish-Coffee-Strongest-Certified/dp/B006CQ1ZHI

Here they are side by side:
banned coffee and deathwish.jpg

If anybody knows other super strong coffees they would like me to test, let me know.

SpeedyGal

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
I see others might agree with your Coffee choice
Banned Coffee ? The Best Tasting & Strongest Coffee in the World
has added a new post on it.

JB

Yeah, that is why I bought it. It had so many good reviews. I can concur that it tastes really good. Not just me saying this. I had a number of friends that have had it with me over the past week or so. They all want to 'taste' the world's strongest coffee.

It's kind of funny, because it sort of scares you into under dosing the coffee, which I think is a mistake, because then it dilutes the taste. Go for the full serving and enjoy it for what it is. And add some delicious creamer LIke I do. #CoffeeHeaven

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi SpeedyGal,

Thanks for updating us on your taste testing results.

I have a feeling that many of us have been wondering about those two particular coffees. Since you are the brave one in our group, your taste testing and your reports of your findings are very helpful and interesting to read.

I wonder if the weird taste that you noticed in the Deathwish coffee is from the extra caffeine powder that they add to it.

Did you or any of your friends get a caffeine jolt from either of the two coffees? Perhaps a sudden urge to clean out the garage or something like that?

Rose

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi SpeedyGal. I enjoy reading your posts, you have a very likable writing style, and would probably make a good blogger if you aren't already into that. I also like that you have an interest in exploring the world of coffee. You mentioned in one of your first posts that you have an interest in purchasing a dozen or so different brands of coffee sold on the internet to make some side-by-side evaluations. Some folks here, I'm sure you noticed, are in the business of growing, exporting, importing, roasting or selling coffee. For these folks, the evaluation of coffee is critical to the success of their business. I would encourage you to mimic the methods used by those in the business to make your own evaluations and recommendations. Here would be some simple suggestions:

- Look for coffee where you are given more information about the coffee as opposed to little or no information.
- Learn to recognize coffee origins based on known characteristics. An easy one would be Eastern African coffees, i.e. Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania, versus Indonesian or Central American.
- Insist that you know whether the coffee was a good grade of coffee, or a commercial grade.
- Insist on knowing whether the coffee is fresh or stale...something you may have already experienced with your evaluation of these two coffees. You may be comparing a fresher, inferior coffee to a stale better coffee.
- Lastly, you can assume that if you are purchasing the worlds finest coffees, you will also be given origin, grade, and roast dates at minimum. This is because a roaster selling poorer coffee, or potentially stale coffee, on the internet is not going to be able to sell to people with an advanced knowledge of good coffee, and won't pay the price of the best quality greens.

Once again...I hope you catch the bug and become a coffee spaz like most of us here. Cheers!

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
I agree with Mr. PB on all points. A question in the back of my mind is regarding your reference points in evaluating these two coffees; when you say one tasted good, do you have an actual "good" coffee that you're comparing it to?

SpeedyGal

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Hi SpeedyGal,

Thanks for updating us on your taste testing results.

I wonder if the weird taste that you noticed in the Deathwish coffee is from the extra caffeine powder that they add to it.

Did you or any of your friends get a caffeine jolt from either of the two coffees? Perhaps a sudden urge to clean out the garage or something like that?

Rose

Does deathwish add extra caffeine powder?

Regarding the caffeine, we could feel it. We REALLY felt it with Banned Coffee, but that is because we liked the taste (and smell) and had more than one cup. After two cups, we were really, really feeling it. This was at the full recommended brewing dose listed on the package.

I'm sure somebody here can back me up on the smell of Deathwish. Just smell it, and then smell any other coffee. Something is off, or maybe they use different strong beans?

SpeedyGal

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Hi SpeedyGal. I enjoy reading your posts, you have a very likable writing style, and would probably make a good blogger if you aren't already into that. I also like that you have an interest in exploring the world of coffee. You mentioned in one of your first posts that you have an interest in purchasing a dozen or so different brands of coffee sold on the internet to make some side-by-side evaluations. Some folks here, I'm sure you noticed, are in the business of growing, exporting, importing, roasting or selling coffee. For these folks, the evaluation of coffee is critical to the success of their business. I would encourage you to mimic the methods used by those in the business to make your own evaluations and recommendations. Here would be some simple suggestions:

- Look for coffee where you are given more information about the coffee as opposed to little or no information.
- Learn to recognize coffee origins based on known characteristics. An easy one would be Eastern African coffees, i.e. Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania, versus Indonesian or Central American.
- Insist that you know whether the coffee was a good grade of coffee, or a commercial grade.
- Insist on knowing whether the coffee is fresh or stale...something you may have already experienced with your evaluation of these two coffees. You may be comparing a fresher, inferior coffee to a stale better coffee.
- Lastly, you can assume that if you are purchasing the worlds finest coffees, you will also be given origin, grade, and roast dates at minimum. This is because a roaster selling poorer coffee, or potentially stale coffee, on the internet is not going to be able to sell to people with an advanced knowledge of good coffee, and won't pay the price of the best quality greens.

Once again...I hope you catch the bug and become a coffee spaz like most of us here. Cheers!

Mr PB, great response. Thanks. I knew going in that these two coffees I tested were most likely not going to be the best tasting coffee in the world. I don't think they pretend to be that. I wanted to test their claim about being the world's strongest, but also find out if they tasted good. One did (to me and my frineds) and one did not. However, they were very caffeinated, which is what I wanted for this test. VERY caffeinated.

Since that test is now finished, I would love it if you could provide me a few coffees you feel might be considered really good that I can order on Amazon. I want to stick to Amazon for the time being. If you cannot recommend anybody because of freshness or other factors, I get it.

Eventually I will get to the point where I start ordering coffee that is just days old, right from a manufacturer. I don't think my pallete is to that point yet.

Now that this test is finished, perhaps my previous question should be moved to a new thread? Not sure how you work that here.

And thank you for the compliment on my writing style. I try :)

Cheers!

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Since that test is now finished, I would love it if you could provide me a few coffees you feel might be considered really good that I can order on Amazon. I want to stick to Amazon for the time being. If you cannot recommend anybody because of freshness or other factors, I get it.

Eventually I will get to the point where I start ordering coffee that is just days old, right from a manufacturer. I don't think my pallete is to that point yet.

Cheers!

Pardon my curiosity again, but why limit yourself to Amazon? It sounds like you want to drink crummy coffee first because your palate won't know good coffee yet, correct? Please help me understand that reasoning.

SpeedyGal

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Pardon my curiosity again, but why limit yourself to Amazon? It sounds like you want to drink crummy coffee first because your palate won't know good coffee yet, correct? Please help me understand that reasoning.

Is every coffee on Amazon crummy? I enjoy the coffee I have ordered. Then again, I haven't ordered from roasters where the coffee is 48 hours old. I dont know if I could appreciate the difference. But I think I would like to try.

For me, Amazon is a convenience thing. I love being able to click and not have to enter all my order details. I like the security of it. I like the fast shipments, the low costs (usually), and the ability to return anything that I dont like without any questions asked.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Forgive me for insinuating that all coffee on Amazon is bad; I should not have, since I haven't tried them. It's just contrary to how I would think to procure good coffee, knowing what I know about freshness. But even that's an assumption, as I can't say none of the Amazon sellers have a quick turnaround.

On my site, I have balked at setting up the Amazon payment system. Based on the fact that you're probably not alone in wanting a simplified checkout, maybe I should. For most sites, mine include, once you register you don't have to enter any information as it remembers your name/addy, etc. Mine doesn't store credit card info as a security measure, so you'd have the option of entering the card number each order, or paying through PayPal which just as easy/secure as Amazon's checkout.

HopnDude

Mar 7, 2016
Visit site
Hello SpeedyGal,

I was enjoying reading your review as I was sipping on my first cup of "Banned" coffee this morning. I've already had both Death Wish and Valhalla coffee's by the Death Wish company.

It seems you've compared, to what my taste buds would say, a medium roast to a dark roast.

Banned - Medium Roast
Valhalla - Medium Roast
Death Wish - Dark Roast

Both Valhalla and Death Wish have the same caffeine content, so if you're more of a Medium Roast person then I would suggest getting Valhalla (Jave Odenforce Blend) instead of the Death Wish. This seems to be more of a comparable test.

People who like a Medium Roast, don't like the smell or flavor of a Dark Roast.
People who like a Dark Roast, don't like the smell or flavor of a Medium Roast.
Some drink their coffee black, some with cream, some with sugar, some with cream and sugar, etc.

If you want to try something completely different, get a "Organic, Fair Trade" style coffee. To me it has what I would call a "beanie" taste to it. Kind of reminds me when you make a home made soup with beans you have to soak overnight. However, some people like this flavor/taste and think it adds to the richness of the flavor. For me, not so much.

As for myself, well I drink coffee a lot. Enough that I have a portable espresso maker that goes with me to the field when I deploy or have field training for a weekend or few weeks. Trying to get the BioLite CampStove for heating my water and charging my electronics. I'm not sure if I would consider myself a coffee connoisseur, but I do enjoy coffee right up until I go to bed.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure if I would consider myself a coffee connoisseur, but I do enjoy coffee right up until I go to bed.

Welcome to coffeeforums.com HopnDude! If you are a chain drinker, then you are what I like to call...myself included...a coffee SPAZ. Connoisseur, imo, implies a certain disdain for coffees that don't meet a standard, whereas "coffee spaz" implies a lack of ability to control one's interest in coffee. I can drink just about any "excuse" for coffee if necessary, as coffee is my preferred caffeine delivery vehicle. Doesn't mean I don't prefer good coffee, just means I can't control my addiction. Bad coffee is better than no coffee...just sayin'...