Barartza Sette 30 Grind Selector Issue

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi all. Hope everyone is well and staying safe! :grin:

Having an issue with my Sette 30 grinder. I have a Breville Barista Express espresso machine, which has it's own integral grinder, so I have no need to use the Settee 30 on the fine setting. I have to confess...I don't clean the grinder as often as I should...which actually is never...since I got it! So today, I was putting the conical burr / grind selector back into the machine and I just naturally will turn the wheel all the way to the finest setting [1], and then return it back to the coarse setting of [31]. The problem is that once the selector gets to about the [17] mark, it binds up and won't go to the finer settings without a lot of effort...to the point that I'm concerned that the torque required will damage the machine over time. I've cleaned all the buildup out as much as possible, and even took the back plate off. I decided to send out this SOS before proceeding any further, as I don't wish to damage the machine or void a warrantee that might still be on the machine. I'm thinking this is only a buildup of fines, but maybe it's a mechanical issue others are experiencing as well. Thanks in advance for any advice. It is greatly appreciated & needed!!

Cheers!

Doug

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
You should reach out to Baratza. Their customer service is second to none. I had an issue with my Virtuoso. I sent an email to their customer service people and literally had a response back within two hours. I exchanged numerous emails with the same person until my problem was resolved. I was extremely pleased.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Thank you MntnMan62...that is solid advice. I've heard about thier legendary customer service, but your experience is definitely the best I've heard so far! I'm sending them an email as soon as I hit the reply button here!

Cheers!

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
I would say that there is an alignment process to follow when you place the grinder back within the machine. You are probably hitting some type of physical limiter at the 17 settings. I would also recommend giving them a call.... don't force it.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Well...after waiting long enough to convince myself that the delay was due to the current situation we all face, I went to Baratza's website and found that the help section and videos are unlike any I have encountered thus far, with white papers as well as videos explaining how to take the machine apart. The issue I was having was made worse by the fact that, after having removed the back of the grinder, the timer would count down, but without engaging the grinder motor. That turned out to be me just not making extra sure that the shell of the grinder was completely snug...I mean COMPLETELY! The tolerances of their machine are testament to the precision to which they manufacture and the kill switch for an out of alignment error is very sensitive...which then gave rise to the suggestion from Musicphan...yes you, lol...that there was an alignment error. I would now suspect that any alignment error would result in the override by the kill switch. So it turns out that the removable grind selector housing which holds also the conical burr needed to be taken apart and cleaned. And indeed this was the issue. Three screws to remove...of course a special screw driver was needed, and I was fortunate to have had the needed bit, so it took less than five minuets, and the grinder is back in action and no issues....

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Well...after waiting long enough to convince myself that the delay was due to the current situation we all face, I went to Baratza's website and found that the help section and videos are unlike any I have encountered thus far, with white papers as well as videos explaining how to take the machine apart. The issue I was having was made worse by the fact that, after having removed the back of the grinder, the timer would count down, but without engaging the grinder motor. That turned out to be me just not making extra sure that the shell of the grinder was completely snug...I mean COMPLETELY! The tolerances of their machine are testament to the precision to which they manufacture and the kill switch for an out of alignment error is very sensitive...which then gave rise to the suggestion from Musicphan...yes you, lol...that there was an alignment error. I would now suspect that any alignment error would result in the override by the kill switch. So it turns out that the removable grind selector housing which holds also the conical burr needed to be taken apart and cleaned. And indeed this was the issue. Three screws to remove...of course a special screw driver was needed, and I was fortunate to have had the needed bit, so it took less than five minuets, and the grinder is back in action and no issues....

Hello Mr. Peaberry,

Thanks for the update. It is so great to see our Forum members help each other to solve tricky problems.

I bet it feels good to finally figure it out and fix the issue. I've discovered that having a set of those "special" screw drivers often saves the day. It's frustrating to get ready to take something apart only to discover that you need a "special" screwdriver for a tamper-proof screw.

I'm glad your grinder is back in action.

~ Rose

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Hello Mr. Peaberry,

Thanks for the update. It is so great to see our Forum members help each other to solve tricky problems.

I bet it feels good to finally figure it out and fix the issue. I've discovered that having a set of those "special" screw drivers often saves the day. It's frustrating to get ready to take something apart only to discover that you need a "special" screwdriver for a tamper-proof screw.

I'm glad your grinder is back in action.

~ Rose

Thanks Rose! It's one thing to be dealing with this virus shut down, but when your grinder shuts down, this is serious stuff!!

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
Congrats Mr.Peaberry. Glad you were able to fix it with relatively little effort. In times like these we need the little things in life to be a constant. And fresh ground coffee is one of those necessary constants.