Baratza Virtuoso Plastic Burr Clip Keeps Breaking

GregWH

Mar 26, 2022
MA
Visit site
Newbie on this site. Thanks for all the great information!

I have been using a Virtuoso burr grinder for a few years, and have found it to be a decent grinder. Except.....
the top burr is held in place by a plastic clip, which cracks regularly. It is pretty obvious when it happens, as the grind all of a sudden goes wonky. I have replaced it 4 times already, 3 times since March 2021.

While the replacements aren't crazy expensive (last I checked they are $14US each), the nuisance factor of having to deal with it on an ongoing basis is...well, a nuisance.

Wondering if others have experienced this issue, if anyone has a solution short of going with a different grinder, or suggestions for a different grinder that does a decent job without breaking the bank.

Thanks,
Greg

Kudzu

Dec 5, 2014
Pawleys Island, SC
Visit site
Between my daughter and I, we have run several Virtuosos over a number of years. Two of them went back to Baratza for the rebuild program, and were upgraded to the later generation burrs and gear sets. Since we have never experienced the problem plaguing you, I wonder if there is not something else going on with your particular grinder causing that problem. Have you talked through your issue with the Baratza service department? They may be able to help you via phone or email.

GregWH

Mar 26, 2022
MA
Visit site
Thanks for the response, Kudzu.

I did speak with one of their reps a year ago, when I purchased the three replacement parts. I was told that the plastic piece in question is designed to break if there is material going between the burrs that shouldn't; ie pebbles etc. I can accept it as a fail safe, but can't imagine having the amount of stuff in my beans that might cause this much difficulty.