barista pay woes

baristarryeyed

May 11, 2008
Visit site
For the most part, I love my job as a barista. I've been working at my shop since it opened (longer than anyone else, including my manager) for a year and a half. Since then, I have gone out of my way to make flyers for promotions in our shop. I give 110% at work, and most of our regular customers seem to love me. Currently I make minimum wage along with tips that my boss parcels out according to hours worked. The only thing I can attribute this to is that I am, in fact, the youngest employee in the store. Those of us who have been there for a year or more are thinking about asking for a raise, but we don't really know if we will get our heads bitten off by our boss. For everything I've done for the store, I feel like I have gone above and beyond the duties of a minimum wage employee (we all have, we're really good at what we do), and I don't know if my boss sees that. Should I ask for a raise? If so, how much, and how should I go about it? Thanks!

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
There is a federal minimum wage that all states abide by, then there's a state wage, which varies depending on which state you work in.

Usually, after 30 - 90 days, once the employee has been trained and has shown improvement, a raise in pay is appropriate.

After a year, you should have been offered a pay increase by now!
Has our economy gotten this bad??? :(

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello Baristarryeyed

Have you done any research to find out what the other coffee shops in your area pay their baristas? It may help if you knew what other people are being paid.

If you and some of the other employees approach your boss together, and if you have some "ammunition", such as the going rate for baristas in your area, a list of all that you've done to help sales, your good attendance records, etc. you may have a good chance of getting the bosses attention without getting your heads bitten off.

It's such a shame that so many people have to work like dogs for a minimum wage and minimal tips. It's great that you enjoy doing what you do, but it would be even better if you were compensated fairly for your efforts instead of being taken advantage of.

Good luck.

Rose

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
As an owner, this is my take:

Anyone employed for a year who didn't earn a raise, would have been fired long ago.

There are two possibilities here and neither are good.

1) Your boss is a cheap S.O.B.
2) He really can't afford a raise.
2a) He doesn't realize he can afford a raise.

You should know your boss well enough to know if number one is the case, if so, your only option is to find a business who values your talents.

On the second point, if this is the case either he is a poor business person, or you and your co-workers have failed to show him how you add value to the company.

If you left the company, what would it cost to bring someone in at your skill level?
Does your attention to quality, knowledge of customers, personality, etc. actually help drive sales? SHOW/Tell them this...
"Since I started working, your sales have gone up X amount, and when I am on shift they are X amount above anyone working a similar shift" that sort of thing.

Either he doesn't recognize your value
or you have failed to show him your value.
The truth is somewhere in between.

Be confident. Be honest. Be prepared.

baristarryeyed

May 11, 2008
Visit site
Thanks everyone! Topher, I'm in Ohio. ElPugDiablo...we're not even allowed to touch leftovers of any kind (brewed coffee, broken cookies...) without getting written up. I love my job but this is all really starting to suck.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
time to look for a new job...drinking brewed coffee should be encouraged..how can you push what you do not understand? All I can say is wow :shock:

ElPugDiablo

topher said:
time to look for a new job...drinking brewed coffee should be encouraged..how can you push what you do not understand? All I can say is wow :shock:
I agree. I want my people to try everything on the menu. They can eat and drink all they want before, during and after work as long as they do so went they are not busy and all of their assigned tasks are being fullfilled. They can take whole beans or tea leaves home. I don't charge them and no one abuse the system. We are bean sellers not bean counters.

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
ElPugDiablo said:
I want my people to try everything on the menu. They can eat and drink all they want before, during and after work............... We are bean sellers not bean counters.
Ya gotta love a boss like that, come on now. :D

topher said:
if you want work...I have plenty of it.
I have a feeling that working for Topher would be like workin' on a chain gang in a hot roastery, with the constant sound of whips cracking in the background while he personally "counts the beans" at the end of every shift to make sure that no one has pocketed any. LOL.

Hey, how else does one get to be on the top in his field? Ha ha ha. :D

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I have a feeling that working for Topher would be like workin' on a chain gang in a hot roastery, with the constant sound of whips cracking in the background while he personally "counts the beans" at the end of every shift to make sure that no one has pocketed any. LOL.

Are you kidding me?? My guys have it so easy..I load every batch for them and myself. I give them a 15 minute break every 45 mins..I keep the roastery at a chilling 70 degrees and they have their weekends off..I wish I had it as easy as they do :( Just ask them!

bprotsman

Jan 13, 2008
Ft Lauderdale
Visit site
Barista woes

Are you kidding me?? My guys have it so easy..I load every batch for them and myself. I give them a 15 minute break every 45 mins..I keep the roastery at a chilling 70 degrees and they have their weekends off..I wish I had it as easy as they do Just ask them!

As one of the roasters working for Topher I guess I can''t complain. (He''s very laid back, no temper, and loves country music.... what’s not to like there?????) Not sure about the break part but we do have it pretty easy. I couldn’t imagine not being able to taste (daily) our coffees, not to mention take beans home and sample on a regular basis. It''s gotta be part of the job!!!!

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
Topher, I had you all wrong. Even your employee came in to put in a good word for you. I guess ever since Davec's picture of you home roasting, I had that image stuck in my head. Ha ha, it really wasn't you, but you never posted a photo in the members photo thread so it was all I had to go on.

Also, of course, I was just kidding as usual, we all know you must be a cool guy to work with. :D