Barista training

Timms

Jan 12, 2005
Visit site
Anyone know of a decent barista school. Most are very expensive (understandable). Not sure how to know if they are good or bad schools. Would like to become a certified barista. Thanks if you can help.

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
Timms said:
Anyone know of a decent barista school. Most are very expensive (understandable). Not sure how to know if they are good or bad schools. Would like to become a certified barista. Thanks if you can help.

I'm afraid that there is no such thing as an accredited certification for a barista. When you stand behind the bar, you're the barista. The only true certification of your skill is the quality of your beverage the the experience that you provide for your customers.

If you are unable to attend one of the private schools or hire a company to train you in your shop, you may wish to consider the resources available through the Specialty Coffee Association. Classes are offered at low cost at the annual conference in Seattle (this April 15-18) and regularly throughout the year at various locations. More info at http://www.scaa.org/

Good luck,

Andrew

pstam

Jan 7, 2005
China
Visit site
cafemakers said:
I'm afraid that there is no such thing as an accredited certification for a barista. When you stand behind the bar, you're the barista. The only true certification of your skill is the quality of your beverage the the experience that you provide for your customers.

That is really true. But now, one can find a good training centre in Beijing of China. It works well, as you can see from our recently joined Franchise Coffee Service, in an Italian restaurant. We are called Kaffa Cafe.

phaelon56

Sep 25, 2003
Syracuse NY
Visit site
If you're on the east coast check with Counter Culture Coffe in Durham NC. If I recall correctly they have plans to open a training center that will adhere to SCAA standards and process. I'm guessing that barista training will be a part of their program but I'm not certain of that. I do knwo that they have an excellent reputation... which they have earned.