Barista Training

lse

Aug 6, 2004
Visit site
I am new to this site. I have purchased a bldg. near a small University, (walking distance) in a very rural area. I have many questions, but let me get this one out of the way first. Should I have formal training before I acquire my machine?

lse

Aug 6, 2004
Visit site
Formal Training

Thanks Coffee Guy, I have checked the net and can't find anything close by (NC) unless I want to get involved with their product. Suggestions please. I am such a newbee but am really setting my opening 8/05...so I need all the help you have to offer.

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Hi Ise:

Well, most coffee and/or equipment companies have to earn business, so that is just about the industry norm. If you purchase from them they will provide you training. I might suggest that whoever you purchase coffee and/or equipment from that they provide a good training course. Keep in mind that not all equipment companies can provide you with coffee, and not all roasters of coffee can provide you with equipment. We just happen to be a company that provides both. Additionally we provide on going consulting as long as you remain a customer. I know you are looking to open soon, and I'd love to help you. Please send me a pm and we can go a little further into detail. Until then, there is nothing wrong with continuing your research. :D

BaristaTrainer

Oct 18, 2004
Portland, OR
Visit site
Formal Training

Hi Ise,

Coffee Guy is right ... you should look for professional training before buying equipment, or planning ot open.

Check out www.specialtycoffeeconsulting.com and www.coffeeschool.org for not only training information but also business and start-up consultation.

These are companies that provide unbiased training and consultation from some of the top experts in the industry and have no hidden agendas to sell you coffee or equipment, just expert advice.

I recommend doing lots of research before making and expensive decisions, also I recommend going to as many tradeshows as possible. There is a CoffeeFest in Chicago in February.

For more info PM me.

Good luck with you new building!

BaristaTrainer

Oct 18, 2004
Portland, OR
Visit site
Formal Training

Hi Ise,

Coffee Guy is right ... you should look for professional training before buying equipment, or planning ot open.

Check out www.specialtycoffeeconsulting.com and www.coffeeschool.org for not only training information but also business and start-up consultation.

These are companies that provide unbiased training and consultation from some of the top experts in the industry and have no hidden agendas to sell you coffee or equipment, just expert advice.

I recommend doing lots of research before making and expensive decisions, also I recommend going to as many tradeshows as possible. There is a CoffeeFest in Chicago in February.

For more info PM me.

Good luck with you new building!

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
No offense but coffee fest is a bit of a joke...I have been to a few over the years....last one I went to was in vegas and it basically was biscotti and granita...I saw the whole floor in under 3 hours...went for 5 days...thank god it was in vegas...SCAA shows kick ass though...everyone is at those!

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Hey Topher:

You know my stance on the "Fest" :D . But I guess it's okay if the new person in this industry is curious about some of the goings on, and to get an idea of some of the things needed to work this business.

phaelon56

Sep 25, 2003
Syracuse NY
Visit site
Have you checked with Counter Culture Coffee in the Raleigh Durham area? Not sure if they require that you buy beans and/or equipment from them but they do training and have an excellent reputation.

BaristaTrainer

Oct 18, 2004
Portland, OR
Visit site
I have to disagree with those who think CoffeeFest "is a joke".

Where else can you go to learn about this ever changing industry. There are many great seminars which are included in your $20 admitance as well as countless vendors, roasters, machine dealers, etc. at your disposal.

Any one serious abou this industry shoudl go to these shows, ESPECIALLY when they are in your back yard.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I am just saying that the coffee fests I went to where directed more twards people thinking of getting into the coffee biz...I could walk to whole floor in under 3 hours....now the SCAA shows I would spend 3-4 days and not see everything....as to an ever changing industry...who do think is changing it?

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Hey BT:

I never said Coffee Fest was a joke. It's just focused toward the new comer to the industry. Keep in mind, I'm sure that most of us have been to at least one and the newness wears off after the first one. Especially for those of us that work in this industry. As the case in any trade show, we all pick and choose what sticks to us :wink: